Possible to remotely perform file system conversion?

Hello,

I am following the wonderful guide on the Reiser to XFS conversion and I have run into a barrier. My unRaid server (v6.3.5) is across the ocean and I am not able to access it locally.

I am currently running an OpenVPN docker to access my server, but obviously once I send the command to stop the array (as is necessary to perform the file system conversion) then the OpenVPN Docker will be stopped and I will loose access. Additionally, the router serving the network for my server is quite shit and cannot run its own openVPN server.

Currently, my only work around is to port forward the unRaid GUI and SSH ports in the router. However, I know this is extremely insecure and opens my server to attack.

Are there any safer alternatives for me to perform the file system conversion remotely without port forwarding?

I might be able to arrange access to another machine on the network, but this would be very inconvenient and is a last resort. (Trying to think if I have a RPi that could be easily setup on the remote network)

Ideally, I do not want to rely on any third party although it seems I may need to do that to maintain security.

• 2 months later...