Cannot find unRAID server from Windows 10

I have the usual problem that I have read about on the forum in that I cannot see my unRAID server or shares from a clean Windows 10 PRO machine and I am wondering what is the "correct" way to resolve the issue so I can view the shares.

Do I set up passworded users on unRAID with access to the explicit set of shares I want and if so, how? Do I use an FTP tool to get in from the Win10 box? Do I fiddle with SMB settings?

Both the unRAID box and the Win10 PC are at home on the same LAN.

So far I have the unRAID box with SMB active and it is set to be Local Master for WORKGROUP. Dynamix Local Master says that unRAID is the Local Master. The shares are set to Export and Public but Win10 sees no evidence of the server at all. I just get to see the Plex Media Server in the Windows File Explorer.

On my Windows 10 Pro Test-Machine, unraid was seen directly after install - Set your Network to a Homenetwork (maybe Private on an english version) and its working fine.

Do "not" use puplic or Company setting!

Also important: I use the same User with the same password on WIn 10 and unraid.

You dont need different users on unraid, use just Shares but be careful with the Settings

Settings for shares (Tab "Shares" on the GUI):

Export: Yes

Summary of security modes:

Public All users including guests have full read/write access.

Secure All users including guests have read access, you select which of your users have write access.

Private No guest access at all, you select which of your users have read/write or read-only access.

And then, dont forget to set access correctly for your unraid main user - your main user must have Read/Write access.

In my case i use only one user because its a "streaming server" and there is no need for other users to access the server.

Everyone can access the movies and tv-shows over plex.

If your server is a "Data-Server", you can create more users and shares for them as well

Shares-Settings.jpg

Edited by Zonediver

I have Win10 set to Private for networks and don't see the unRAID box at all in the list of Networked devices.

I have set up a user on unRAID with a name and password and then tried to map a network drive to \\myserver\myshare and told it to use the user name and password but I just get the error message "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred : the specified network name is no longer available".

As far as Win10 is concerned, it is the only device on my network.

I can use the browser to go to the unRAID server via its IP address (static) so it is definitely up.

I appreciate the help but here are my current unRAID settings...

Array is started and accessible via a browser

Dynamix Local Master plugin is installed

Settings - Network Services - SMB

- SMB Settings

- Enable SMB : Yes (Workgroup)

- Hide "dot" files : No

- Workgroup Settings

- Workgroup : WORKGROUP

- Local Master Browser : Yes

- Monitor Local Master Election : Disabled

- Current Elected Master : NAS-PLEX is current local master browser

Shares - User Shares - Download

- SMB Security Settings

- Share Name : Downloads

- Export : Yes

- Enhanced OS X interoperability : No

- Security : Public

Sadly \\IP-address does not result in anything.

I have added the extra commands to the Samba options and restarted the server. It is still the local master just as before but I cannot reboot the Windows 10 PC at the moment as it is in the middle of a very long download (*shakes fist at rural internet*). I will wait till that is finished then reboot the PC. I will also read through the rest of the things to try in the thread, Frank.

EDIT : Ooh, I can get in through the FTP side. I have created a user in unRAID that matches my Windows 10 login and put that in the list of permitted users for FTP. I can then go to ftp:\\IP-address\, get asked for the user name and password and I am instantly in. That does  mean I can use something like FileZilla to do the same in a more elegant and useful way.

It would still be good to know why SMB is not working though.

I've had the same problem with not seeing my box on my network with windows 10 and I too had to map my shares and that worked but I did find something interesting that may be playing an issue my local master is actually showing my extender as the master does that sound right shouldn't it be my unRAID server listed

Master.png

7 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

my local master is actually showing my extender as the master

The local master is an election.  Generally, the system that is up and running the longest winds up being the local master all else being equal, and if the system is up 24/7 any particular system running as local master is as good as any other.  (In my case, my LibreElec VM running on unRaid is my local master).

See here to force unRaid to be the local master https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

Edited by Squid
30 minutes ago, DanielCoffey said:

Sadly \\IP-address does not result in anything.

I have added the extra commands to the Samba options and restarted the server. It is still the local master just as before but I cannot reboot the Windows 10 PC at the moment as it is in the middle of a very long download (*shakes fist at rural internet*). I will wait till that is finished then reboot the PC. I will also read through the rest of the things to try in the thread, Frank.

EDIT : Ooh, I can get in through the FTP side. I have created a user in unRAID that matches my Windows 10 login and put that in the list of permitted users for FTP. I can then go to ftp:\\IP-address\, get asked for the user name and password and I am instantly in. That does  mean I can use something like FileZilla to do the same in a more elegant and useful way.

It would still be good to know why SMB is not working though.

How is your Network designed? PC - Switch - unraid?

Try another switch just to see what happens.

Yes I have a switch - 16 port Netgear GS116UK ProSafe Gigabit 10/100/1000 over Cat5e. My Mac Mini can see the server over AFP and as I now know I can FTP into it. It is just Samba to Win10 that is blocked.

I don't have any other switches to try but I could find which cable was which in the comms cupboard and put them into the Router direct. To be honest now I know I can FTP my specific access issue is resolved.

I wonder if the minimum supported samba version in recent versions of Win10 has drifted away from what unRAID offers?

Windows Firewall is already off as it is managed by Kaspersky. Before I reinstalled Kaspersky today, I couldn't see the SMB shares and I still can't with Kaspersky managing the firewall.

I would prefer not to disable the firewall even for testing as I have now found that FileZilla is more than capable of letting me into the unRAID shares through FTP with passwords set.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

The local master is an election.  Generally, the system that is up and running the longest winds up being the local master all else being equal, and if the system is up 24/7 any particular system running as local master is as good as any other.  (In my case, my LibreElec VM running on unRaid is my local master).

See here to force unRaid to be the local master https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

Ha interestingly it worked although I tried several times and failed so I took the array offline and poof it worked! Another positive side affect is that now after trying for weeks to have openVPN start under host and failing it now works, will try later to set it up so I can access from outside the network Thanks again!