Plex Privacy

squirrellydw

IMO it's overblown, Plex has clearly stated that they never have, now or in the past and never will, gather any information about users library content. We either believe them or we don't, if we don't we have the choice to stop using their software, if we do, then there is no debate. I believe them, so I choose to continue paying for a Plex pass and using their software.

Edited by ashman70

Plex has removed the option to completely opt-out of their data collection and have changed what they collect as well.  Their method has changed quite a bit since they first announced they were doing this.  It was a simple act of blocking 'metrics.plex.tv' from the server, but have since continued to move to the client for data collection.  They do have a limited opt-out still available on your plex account on the website.  It is rather simple and confusing as the page you view just has a single tick-box in the middle with no submit or other buttons.  Just un-ticking (or ticking) saves it.  For those that don't like this way of doing business, recourse options appear to be nil, but common-sense suggests don't log in using social media credentials or link to social media and have all clients opt-out on the individual accounts.  The harvested data is not in the clear so most likely, as with most businesses in the market of harvesting data, someone will hack it and find out they are collecting more than the policy wording says they are.  Happens all the time.  I hear Emby is becoming quite popular because of these changes with Plex.