isvein

Intel Coffee Lake (8.gen)

Hello :)
I did not find any other threads about coffee lake.

Anyone else out there excited for the 8.gen?
I know I`m, since the i3 will be a 4-core and the i5 4core with HT.

My plan, is to change my oldest hardware (an i7-970) with an i3 and see if I can run pfsense on the box too in VM.

No, not in the slightest excited.  The only reason to upgrade from even SandyBridge is better motherboard features like M.2, USB-C, etc.  Intel's CPUs have basically stagnated for close to 10 years.

Heck, at work I'm still using a Core2-era Pentium, and it still runs Outlook/IE/Word fine.  No issues with it at all, even using the chipset video driving a 1080p screen.

The only way Coffee Lake would be of interest to me is if there were a Xeon version for socket 1151 and 200 series chipsets.  The i3/i5/i7 does use the 1151 socket, but, they require a 300 series chipset and do not support ECC RAM.  Since I would have to upgrade motherboard and RAM I am more interested to see what happens with AMD Ryzen and EPYC as they mature.  Eight cores and 16 threads is my new "minimum" in the future and AMD appears to have the price/performance advantage at that level.

Now, if I were looking to build a new server with non-server-grade parts, Coffee Lake is certainly a better option than its predecessors.

If I was in the market for a new CPU I would be but my gaming desktop is in need of a better graphics card first lol.

Only interest I have is the effect it will have on CPU prices.  Intel coming out with brand new 8th gen at around $380 for their high end offering...unheard of before AMD got their groove back.

I still want to run Windows 7 so I'll never be upgrading my CPU if I can avoid it.

Interesting the Coffee Lakes do NOT come with HSF.

10 hours ago, SSD said:

Interesting the Coffee Lakes do NOT come with HSF.

Intel CPUs dropped HSF a couple years back, Skylake I think was the first gen to ship without one.

Intel CPUs dropped HSF a couple years back, Skylake I think was the first gen to ship without one.
Only the K (unlocked ) models, Coffee Lake non K models include HSF, same as Skylake/Kabylake.
  • Upvote 1