Intel Coffee Lake (8.gen)

isvein

Hello :)
I did not find any other threads about coffee lake.

Anyone else out there excited for the 8.gen?
I know I`m, since the i3 will be a 4-core and the i5 4core with HT.

My plan, is to change my oldest hardware (an i7-970) with an i3 and see if I can run pfsense on the box too in VM.

No, not in the slightest excited.  The only reason to upgrade from even SandyBridge is better motherboard features like M.2, USB-C, etc.  Intel's CPUs have basically stagnated for close to 10 years.

Heck, at work I'm still using a Core2-era Pentium, and it still runs Outlook/IE/Word fine.  No issues with it at all, even using the chipset video driving a 1080p screen.

The only way Coffee Lake would be of interest to me is if there were a Xeon version for socket 1151 and 200 series chipsets.  The i3/i5/i7 does use the 1151 socket, but, they require a 300 series chipset and do not support ECC RAM.  Since I would have to upgrade motherboard and RAM I am more interested to see what happens with AMD Ryzen and EPYC as they mature.  Eight cores and 16 threads is my new "minimum" in the future and AMD appears to have the price/performance advantage at that level.

Now, if I were looking to build a new server with non-server-grade parts, Coffee Lake is certainly a better option than its predecessors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 12:52 AM, johnnie.black said:
On 10/16/2017 at 12:25 AM, tjb_altf4 said:
Intel CPUs dropped HSF a couple years back, Skylake I think was the first gen to ship without one.

Only the K (unlocked ) models, Coffee Lake non K models include HSF, same as Skylake/Kabylake.

You could also go a step farther then this. There are OEM or "tray" cpus which won't come with an HSF. However, if you buy a RETAIL cpu then this will come with an HSF, and a pretty box for customer to look at on the shelf -- except for the K models, they'll have pretty package but no HSF.

32 minutes ago, allanp81 said:

That could in theory be forced to stop working by M$ though so it's a risk.

And that's exactly what I said to my boss, and the client. *mental face palm* -- with boss. End of the day I'm paid to be some one's blunt hammer of technical can do. Two weeks ago, I transferred an XP box to Orcale virtual box VM, just to keep a client's billing software.  

Any how, you know it, and I'm rambling.

Have a good day.

Edited by Jcloud
"all about paying the mortgage." -- Thank You For Smoking
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jcloud said:

I transferred an XP box to Orcale virtual box VM, just to keep a client's billing software.  

Wow. I've had to do this EXACT same thing, because the company is too cheap to run up to date software on something that keeps track of revenue. I wonder how prevalent this running XP in virtualbox for big companies is exactly. I thought my instance was definitely a one off, nobody else would do such a thing in business kind of deal, but I guess not.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Wow. I've had to do this EXACT same thing, because the company is too cheap to run up to date software on something that keeps track of revenue. I wonder how prevalent this running XP in virtualbox for big companies is exactly. I thought my instance was definitely a one off, nobody else would do such a thing in business kind of deal, but I guess not.

Not all of the big billing systems supports clean updates, so the license fee to update is often tiny compared to the full costs of upgrading. There are often huge amounts of customizations costing $100,000+++ or $1M+++ and that has to be redone when moving to the next generation of the business system. So many months of consultant costs to adapt the newer version just to be able to match the functionality of the older version.

2 hours ago, pwm said:

Not all of the big billing systems supports clean updates, so the license fee to update is often tiny compared to the full costs of upgrading. There are often huge amounts of customizations costing $100,000+++ or $1M+++ and that has to be redone when moving to the next generation of the business system. So many months of consultant costs to adapt the newer version just to be able to match the functionality of the older version.

In my case this was a construction company, they bought a new desktop from us and were hoping to have it transferred as there were a few active jobs on it. Customer was ecstatic, claimed I saved her two months of data entry, and yeah probably did save the company $30K in software, store charged her four hours labor ($240), it was a steal for them.

On 10/4/2017 at 10:23 AM, isvein said:

Anyone else out there excited for the 8.gen?

I suppose 6 cores are 6 cores, which is better than 4 cores.  That said, I think there are a narrow set of use cases for the current Coffee Lake chips.  Most use cases would be better off with the increased PCIe lanes of Skylake-X or E5, or ECC support, or IOMMU grouping, etc.  But if you just need an i7 with better multi-processing support... 

4 hours ago, tdallen said:

I suppose 6 cores are 6 cores, which is better than 4 cores.  That said, I think there are a narrow set of use cases for the current Coffee Lake chips.  Most use cases would be better off with the increased PCIe lanes of Skylake-X or E5, or ECC support, or IOMMU grouping, etc.  But if you just need an i7 with better multi-processing support... 

yea, wish I could afford a xeon system :(

On 1/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, isvein said:

yea, wish I could afford a xeon system :(

"Oh she'll be Ryzen around the mountain when she Ryzens. She'll be Ryzen around the Mountain, she'll be Ryzen around the ...." Okay it's much longer then I remember it as a kid, when typing. 

Edited by Jcloud
  • Like 1

When I start to see posts like "I installed unRAID on a Ryzen system and it just worked - everything is running great!" then I'll get more interested.  It's a great looking platform and it's getting a lot closer but it isn't fully baked yet.  Then again, it's turning out that we're all participating in a big science project with Intel, as well... ¬¬.

13 hours ago, Jcloud said:

"Oh she'll be Ryzen around the mountain when she Ryzens. She'll be Ryzen around the Mountain, she'll be Ryzen around the ...." Okay it's much longer then I remember it as a kid, when typing. 

yea, Im thinking of an Ryzen5 or something. Wish I could afford TR4 too.

But why does all the AM4 boards only have 4SATA ports?

4 hours ago, tdallen said:

When I start to see posts like "I installed unRAID on a Ryzen system and it just worked - everything is running great!" then I'll get more interested.  It's a great looking platform and it's getting a lot closer but it isn't fully baked yet.  Then again, it's turning out that we're all participating in a big science project with Intel, as well... ¬¬.

You're not wrong, it just seemed like to me, you were future-casting, I figured it fit. I hear you on science project, then again I got my TR  because I needed a hobby (so flaky=feature?), also I don't have anyone to tell me, "no, don't get that, spend it on me instead" ;) (of the warm and squishy, and wallet evaporating sort).

@Jcloud Yeah, I've been ready to pull the trigger on a new system for a while now.  I don't need to - but I'd like to.  And I have a family of experts of the wallet evaporating sort to worry about, lol.  So I want it to be a good decision.  And while there are many choices in CPUs these days, it's a strangely challenging time to find really good choices.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1