X58A RAM 18GB installed (max. capacity 48?) MB only supports 24?

Hello there. Here are my unRAID server specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 1.0)

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz

18GB RAM (3x2GB, 3x4GB - all six slots occupied)

unRAID Server Pro 6.3.5

My question is, when I go to unRAID's Dashboard page, System Status, under Memory size it says "18GB installed (max capacity 48GB)".

However on the motherboard's spec web page under Memory, it says only 24GB are supported.

Which is correct? Is it worth upgrading from 18GB to 24GB, would I even notice? Or can I put in 48GB and have it all show up?

Thanks for your time and guidance.

It does seem the board (unofficially) supports 8G memory chips, which means 48G may be achievable.

https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/60314-x58a-ud3r-rev-1-0-8gb-dimm-compatibility.html

As to whether or not you'd notice a performance difference, it is hard to say. If you are looking to run several VMs at the same time, each needs a block of dedicated memory. For example, if you want to run 2 Windows VMs, each with 16G of RAM and a Linux VM with 8G, that would leave 8G for unRaid.

More memory would also be useful for in RAM transcoding.

But 24G is a generous amount and lacking some specific need, you'd probably not notice much difference IMO.

• Like 1