Which current Xeon fits this need?

I am totally confused by the current Xeon lineup and would appreciate some advice please.

Which is the recommended Xeon for a single-cpu server board that has 8C/16T or equivalent?

I need DDR4 ECC and must have a single CPU. It can support a full sized board as my current case goes all the way up to SSI-EEB. I would prefer the current generation for power efficiency. Its intended use is unRAID (1C/2T), Plex (1C/2T) and gaming (4C/8T). I would like reasonable clock speeds due to the gaming use. I would like a little headroom for future needs hence mentioning 8C/16T.

I would normally have waited for the Xeon W-2145 but they are not available in retail yet.

Thank you in advance.

Have you tried the Intel Ark Advanced Search?

https://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors

I'd probably go with an E5-16xx, but there are some low end E5-26xx parts.  Actually, I wouldn't go with any of these - Coffee Lake is around the corner along with a revamping of much of the high end Intel Product line.  I'm in wait, see, and then wait some more mode until we have new products with reasonable prices.