E-Mail notification problem: Authorization failed

Just Me

Hey!

I'm using unRAID 6.3.5 and I would like to use my yahoo account to send notifications. But after I've set up my account in unRAID the test fails: Test result: Authorization failed.

The system log says that username or password are invalid:

Sep 25 15:29:25 NAS sSMTP[13390]: Creating SSL connection to host
Sep 25 15:29:25 NAS sSMTP[13390]: SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256
Sep 25 15:29:28 NAS sSMTP[13390]: Authorization failed (535 5.7.0 (#MBR1212) Incorrect username or password.)

But I'm 100% sure, that user and password are correct. I've tried copy & paste and I've tried to type it in three times. 

Are there any character that are prohibited in the password?

The help says that the password is stored unencrypted in the email configuration file. Where do I find this file to check the stored password?

Thank you in advance. 

I don't use spaces in my password, but I'm using a password with special characters, I've changed the password and created a new one only using numbers and character and now it works. 

Seems unRAID doesn't like passwords with special character either. Thanks to everyone for the help :-)

Edited by Just Me
  • 3 months later...

I had another complete different issue with GMail:

1. After much checking and double checking my user name and password and some head scratching it turns out Google considers unRAID a "Less Secure APP" and automatically blocks it! (See pic 1.jpg)
  2. You can turn off this feature with GMail but there's a hitch:  You cannot use GMail with 2 factor security login - OK, reasonable... (See pic 2.jpg & 3.jpg)
  3. Google considers both regular GMail and GMail with TLS preset services to be "Less Secure Apps" from my test.  

Just a heads up everyone. :D

11.thumb.JPG.10abc44860eefdee9baf3195cf86b2ba.JPG3.JPG.04b4ba9f8ff20f9e5647191bb3ffdfa1.JPG2.JPG.8bcc0f7e8cc181f4ab7b70468df6235f.JPG

Edited by Calamari
  • 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So not sure what changed but my notifications stopped working recently after one of the upgrades and now my Gmail notifications will only work if I set "Allow Less secure apps: ON".

Is there a way to get notifications to work with out doing this? It worked fine before.

service="smtp.gmail.com:587:YES:YES:login"
root="[email protected]"
RcptTo="[email protected]"
SetEmailPriority="True"
Subject="unRAID Status: "
server="smtp.gmail.com"
port="587"
UseTLS="YES"
UseSTARTTLS="YES"
UseTLSCert="NO"
AuthMethod="login"

Edited by chip
  • 1 month later...
On 10/2/2019 at 8:12 PM, chip said:

So not sure what changed but my notifications stopped working recently after one of the upgrades and now my Gmail notifications will only work if I set "Allow Less secure apps: ON".

Is there a way to get notifications to work with out doing this? It worked fine before.

service="smtp.gmail.com:587:YES:YES:login"
root="[email protected]"
RcptTo="[email protected]"
SetEmailPriority="True"
Subject="unRAID Status: "
server="smtp.gmail.com"
port="587"
UseTLS="YES"
UseSTARTTLS="YES"
UseTLSCert="NO"
AuthMethod="login"

https://myaccount.google.com/security

Click on "App passwords"

Create one for Unraid.

Use your same email login and that new password in unRAID in place of your own email password.

• 1 year later...