Question For Those That Use UnRaid To Store Their Media/Entertainment Files

helpermonkey

3 hours ago, CHBMB said:

I use the Emby plugin for Kodi, which is pretty much the same. Tried the Plex one a while back and wasn't that impressed, but can't remember why. Emby one is awesome though.

i run the plex plug in and emby docker, like the  gui better on emby but the fam is accustomed to plex so i got to stick with it. I also have a lifetime membership with plex

is this what you're referring to Khadas

• 1 month later...

Hi.  I use Raspberry Pi 3.  It's super cheap, and best of all, it has CEC built-in.  It definitely feels like an appliance.  You power it via an adapter almost made for cellphone charging.  Has built-in wifi and bluetooth, has HDMI input.  Boot from SD card.  I have Kodi installed.  CEC allows me to use my tv remote and d-pad to control kodi, up down left right.  Furthermore, you can choose to pause the episode when you turn off the tv, and continue playback when you turn tv back on.  So seamless!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SSD featured and unfeatured this topic

I used an HTPC for years, from 2008 to 2015, running various different PCs. Usually demo units I got free from work and I’d throw in a video card for hardware accelerated video playback until Intel started supporting that in their integrated GPU. I used XBMC/Kodi for playback.

Once the 4th gen Apple TV, which finally supported apps, came out I ditched the HTPC and have been using those with the Plex app. Perfect setup IMO.

Man this got me thinking about what I’ve used for playback since I started downloading movies/TV. In 2000 I started with a 5 disc DVD changer that supported SVCD playback. SVCD movies 70 minutes or longer were split up into 2 discs since they were burnt to CDs and too large for one disc so the changer let me avoid having to get up midway through to change the disc. After that in 2003 or 2004 I got a Philips DVD player that supported Xvid playback so I could burn complete Xvid movies, in higher quality than SVCD, to a single disc. And finally in 2005 or so, what I though was nirvana at the time, Philips introduced a newer DVD player that also supported Xvid but had a USB port so I could throw a Xvid movie on a USB drive in less than a minute and then just plug it in and watch. It was awesome. Instead of wasting $50 on a spindle of blank CD/DVDs I could spend that money on external hard drives, keep all my movies on there, and just copy a movie to the USB drive when I wanted to watch it. This is actually what lead me to discover UNRAID. I wound up with 5 external hard drives of ever increasing size that I started to get worried about one dying and losing hundreds of movies.

Edited by mrow
On 9/27/2017 at 9:50 PM, BobPhoenix said:

I use my HD300 SageTV extenders for my playback.  Won't do 4K but handles everything else well.  Since I have no 4K media not a problem for me.  Will not do netflix/amazon prime but I have PlayOn to record from either to MP4 which will play on HD300.

Me too.  SageTV continues to be the best software for recording TV as it has a very mature TV recording backend that has been around for well over a decade.  There is a docker version that runs beautifully on an unRAID server and you can use the (old) SageTV extenders or AndroidTV devices like the Shield or MiBox as clients.  So if you care about recording TV, and my main use is for recording sports, then this is something to be considered.

5 hours ago, bdydrp said:

Unraid to store all content, with a dedicated HTPC running mediaportal.

I also use MP for FTA Live TV. Has no issues playing any media i throw at it inc. 4k

Works well for me and the mrs

Me too but thinking about switch to Kodi/TV Headend as MP is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

1 hour ago, allanp81 said:

Me too but thinking about switch to Kodi/TV Headend as MP is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I left MP as soon as Kodi gained PVR capabilities and I don't miss it one bit, although I have fond memories of what was my first real foray into HTPC with it.

4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

I left MP as soon as Kodi gained PVR capabilities and I don't miss it one bit, although I have fond memories of what was my first real foray into HTPC with it.

What do you prefer about kodi over MP?

Did you havd iisues with MP to makd the switch? 

Just curious as so far has been easy to use..even the mrs knows her way round the interface!

1 minute ago, bdydrp said:

What do you prefer about kodi over MP?

Did you havd iisues with MP to makd the switch? 

Just curious as so far has been easy to use..even the mrs knows her way round the interface!

Well I wanted a more appliance like feel, and at the time OpenELEC fitted the bill, now been superceded by LibreELEC.  I also love the fact now that my backend is on a MySQL database/Emby backend and my PVR is Tvheadend.  Setting up a new client is just a few minutes work.

Mediaportal I found I needed to do a fresh reinstall every so often and it would take an absolute age to scan everything in.  To be fair we're going back a few years now.  I used to use Argus as my backend to Mediaportal.

I've been running the Emby Theater Windows app on a VM on the server. It's a simple interface but it looks very good and gives easy access to the media. Plus it has a nice full screen page for each media file that gives media info, other TV episodes before/after, other similar movies, add to favorite, mark as watched and the cast. You can pick the cast and go to info on them as well as all of the movies and TV shows they are in. I just didn't get anywhere as close to what it offers when trying Kodi using the Emby plugin. 

I'm pretty much staying with the Emby server docker container. It does everything I'd want and more. It's a pretty impressive application and I think it's well worth $100 for the lifetime premium upgrade. I think it's now $115 or something like that but still worth it for how well it works.