Question For Those That Use UnRaid To Store Their Media/Entertainment Files

helpermonkey

So, for the past 4-years, I've had a custom built Windows-based HTPC as my main way of viewing my media (I actually run PLEX on top of it). However, my HTPC has started to fail - and so while i diagnose that whole thing and then decide if it's worth repairing and/or upgrading, I wanted to put something out there to others - what do you use as your "Front end" media player?

I actually have a chromecast ultra as well as an amazon fire tv; however, i find that the audio quality for those devices isn't great. With all of the options out there, what should i buy if i go this route? Should I simply stick with HTPCs? Or should i consider something like a RokuUltra? Even better - what about a NVidia Shield (or at that price - just an xbox or ps)? My main concern is the ability for good audio quality playback (not just on music but also on my video files)?

You might consider a NUC running PMS generic x64. It will pass through the audio properly, and runs great as an appliance. (Any HTPC could work similarly, but the NUC has an IR receiver, is pretty small, and just works well IMO. Make sure you get one that supports HEVC 10 bit decoding.)

The other option is running a VM in unRaid with video pass through. Similar to above, but you might need a longer HDMI run to connect server to your receiver. There are even options for running hdmi over Ethernet cable. You can use a flirc for IR, but would need to pass through a USB controller. Could also create a Windows VM, which does not quite behave as an appliance, but yields similar results. I have this running on my primary Windows VM with second video port connected to my receiver. (So I can interact with my computer on the monitor, and play a movie on the second monitor in parallel.) It lacks something in the usability dept, and 4K video with HD audio has been a bit finicky using PMS for Windows, but I've been able to work around it. I'm seriously considering a newer NUC as described above. WAF much higher, and avoids occasional having to reach for the keyboard or mouse.

My x86 i3 2120T has recently gone to the great HTPC resting place and I've ordered a Khadas Vim to put LibreELEC on, it's a S905X SOC with built in IR although I plan to use a Flirc I already own and my Harmony remote.

Should be able to play most thing s I throw at it, and other linuxserver members have reported good things with it. So fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, SSD said:

You might consider a NUC running PMS generic x64. It will pass through the audio properly, and runs great as an appliance. (Any HTPC could work similarly, but the NUC has an IR receiver, is pretty small, and just works well IMO. Make sure you get one that supports HEVC 10 bit decoding.)

The other option is running a VM in unRaid with video pass through. Similar to above, but you might need a longer HDMI run to connect server to your receiver. There are even options for running hdmi over Ethernet cable. You can use a flirc for IR, but would need to pass through a USB controller. Could also create a Windows VM, which does not quite behave as an appliance, but yields similar results. I have this running on my primary Windows VM with second video port connected to my receiver. (So I can interact with my computer on the monitor, and play a movie on the second monitor in parallel.) It lacks something in the usability dept, and 4K video with HD audio has been a bit finicky using PMS for Windows, but I've been able to work around it. I'm seriously considering a newer NUC as described above. WAF much higher, and avoids occasional having to reach for the keyboard or mouse.

What NUC would you suggest? and for that matter - do you mean to say PMS on the NUC? B/c I've got PMS on my UnRaid and am just looking at a PMP "head" to attach. I might end up just replacing the fan in my HTPC for $35 and seeing if that does the trick.

5 hours ago, tdallen said:

Using Plex - front ends are Roku, xbox, smart TVs, iPads and iPhones.  While I don't have any complaints about audio quality, I'm not running that into a 7.1 HT or anything that runs advanced Dolby formats, etc.  Is there anything specific you are trying to support?

Not anything specific but I am storing some high-quality encodes that do have 7.1 and have always noticed that my receiver pipes out better sound from my HTPC than it does from my Amazon Fire. What version of the roku do you ahve? 

4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

My x86 i3 2120T has recently gone to the great HTPC resting place and I've ordered a Khadas Vim to put LibreELEC on, it's a S905X SOC with built in IR although I plan to use a Flirc I already own and my Harmony remote.

Should be able to play most thing s I throw at it, and other linuxserver members have reported good things with it. So fingers crossed.

So you mean this sucker http://khadas.com/? - never heard of it - looks pretty awesome - where did you learn about it? I also have a FLIRC on my HTPC and use it with my harmony - is that necessary on this new device without flirc? Is there any reason to think that this produces better quality audio than say - a top of the line roku? I would be totally fine with a box that boots into PLEX - i'm guessing that's an option here? It also seems like it doesn't support 7.1 :-(

Edited by helpermonkey

Not sure about Plex, haven't actually received the box yet. I'm sure there would be a way to get the IR working without a flirc, but flirc offers such an easy config that I'm just going to use it and not mess around with the Harmony config other than sorting out the power on/off.

Can't remember where I heard about it, but my friends and I (a lot of whom are members here) take an interest in open source stuff like this so, someone spotted it somewhere....

I don't have a 7.1 setup, as long as I can passthrough 5.1 I'm happy.

7 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Not sure about Plex, haven't actually received the box yet. I'm sure there would be a way to get the IR working without a flirc, but flirc offers such an easy config that I'm just going to use it and not mess around with the Harmony config other than sorting out the power on/off.

Can't remember where I heard about it, but my friends and I (a lot of whom are members here) take an interest in open source stuff like this so, someone spotted it somewhere....

I don't have a 7.1 setup, as long as I can passthrough 5.1 I'm happy.

gotcha - i'll do a little hunting - it sounds promising and i like open source stuff.

15 minutes ago, helpermonkey said:

Not anything specific but I am storing some high-quality encodes that do have 7.1 and have always noticed that my receiver pipes out better sound from my HTPC than it does from my Amazon Fire. What version of the roku do you ahve? 

The higher end versions of the Roku 3 and 4, but I've never done anything more than 5.1 with them.  I sometimes even strip out the DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD tracks for movies where I don't care about high quality audio.  I may regret that someday but reassembling my HT isn't a priority right now.

5 minutes ago, helpermonkey said:

What NUC would you suggest? and for that matter - do you mean to say PMS on the NUC? B/c I've got PMS on my UnRaid and am just looking at a PMP "head" to attach. I might end up just replacing the fan in my HTPC for $35 and seeing if that does the trick.

So you mean this sucker http://khadas.com/? - never heard of it - looks pretty awesome - where did you learn about it? I also have a FLIRC on my HTPC and use it with my harmony - is that necessary on this new device without flirc? Is there any reason to think that this produces better quality audio than say - a top of the line roku? I would be totally fine with a box that boots into PLEX - i'm guessing that's an option here? It also seems like it doesn't support 7.1 :-(

Sorry PMP not PMS. Mind was elsewhere ;)

If I get another NUC I'd be looking at the NUC7i3BNH (see http://nucblog.net/2017/02/kaby-lake-nuc-review-nuc7i3bnh-overview/)  The prior generation equivalent - NUC6CAYH (http://nucblog.net/2017/01/apollo-lake-nuc-review-nuc6cayh-33-linux-htpc-conclusions/) looks interesting also, but lacks VP9 10 bit decoding. I'd probably opt for the Kaby.

The khadas looks interesting. Just not sure if it runs the x64 generic version of PMP. Also not sure/doubt if it support HEVC/VP9 10-bit. Saying HEVC is supported is not that useful if they don't give the number of bits. I usually think if they don't say 10 bit, they mean 8 bit. And from what I've seen, 10 bit is the more prevalent standard at this point. My old NUC does HEVC 8-bit. Not enough!

49 minutes ago, tdallen said:

The higher end versions of the Roku 3 and 4, but I've never done anything more than 5.1 with them.  I sometimes even strip out the DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD tracks for movies where I don't care about high quality audio.  I may regret that someday but reassembling my HT isn't a priority right now.

Copy that!

37 minutes ago, SSD said:

Sorry PMP not PMS. Mind was elsewhere ;)

If I get another NUC I'd be looking at the NUC7i3BNH (see http://nucblog.net/2017/02/kaby-lake-nuc-review-nuc7i3bnh-overview/)  The prior generation equivalent - NUC6CAYH (http://nucblog.net/2017/01/apollo-lake-nuc-review-nuc6cayh-33-linux-htpc-conclusions/) looks interesting also, but lacks VP9 10 bit decoding. I'd probably opt for the Kaby.

The khadas looks interesting. Just not sure if it runs the x64 generic version of PMP. Also not sure/doubt if it support HEVC/VP9 10-bit. Saying HEVC is supported is not that useful if they don't give the number of bits. I usually think if they don't say 10 bit, they mean 8 bit. And from what I've seen, 10 bit is the more prevalent standard at this point. My old NUC does HEVC 8-bit. Not enough!

Haha - didn't want to sound like a weenie for being all "you mean PMP not PMS?" but they are different so just wanted to make sure. Good point on the 10bit vs 8bit part of it. Per the NUC7 that you suggest - i do have a solid state drive with windows and what not on it - i wouldn't mind ussing that but looks like i'd need to get an adapter ... still if i'm in the $300 range - do you think that's a better option than say the NVIDIA shield or XBOX/PS? If i go with one of those two i would basically be able to just have one box in my closet - which would be nice - where as if i have a dedicated plex box - i still need to have a fire. Besides - under my current setup i can still play a handful of Windows based games....which is kind of nice.

34 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

It won't support it as it's a S905X Amlogic chip, different arch.

You mean it won't support plex? (sorry - so many helpful conversations going on that i'm losing track of who is saying what to whom!) :-)

1 hour ago, helpermonkey said:

You mean it won't support plex? (sorry - so many helpful conversations going on that i'm losing track of who is saying what to whom!) :-)

There's no Plex Media Player release that is compiled for Linux on the architecture that the S905X requires. 

16 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Yeah, and also with Kodi/LibreELEC you have the option of running it with an Emby backend for remote streaming.

it does struggle a bit with 4K content though - I think it's the box not my wi-fi network as I have an AC-Pro about 4m away through 1 wall.

The Khadas Vim looks interesting - I think this will be my upgrade once I get more 4k content and a 4k TV (only got 1 season in 4k at the moment as I avoid it).  I'm nervous about buying 'kodi' boxes as I only watch my own content, so this looks perfect for me.

Higher end set-top box is what I have ended up with: Nvidia Shield TV (android tv OS)

Plays everything I have thrown at it from 4K x265 10-bit HDR full rips to DVR .ts files (oddly enough it has to transcode those but not the high bitrate stuff) and everything in between. I have tried many of the commercial options from raspberry Pi, Roku v3 & v4, and FireTV v1 & v2. Compatible with the Harmony hub remotes (BT for power on/off). Satisfied enough to buy another for the bedroom. 

Edited by interwebtech
  • Like 2

Was using UnRaid for storage and Kodi front end on dedicated HTPC, but when I upgraded my TV I got an Android TV which now runs Kodi linking to Plex Docker on unRaid. Much better WAF and works well. I don't run 4K content locally. The only problem I'm now running into is I think my Kodi database with fanart and thumbnails is pushing the memory limit on the TV. :( 

• Like 1

I have a beefy main server (40 threads, 18 reserved for unRaid/Plex) that transcodes and streams Plex media files to any number of different local and remote devices (ps3/roku/cable box/smart tv/phone/tables/etc..) I'm close to setting up a kodi/openelec/libre elec/whatever vm for my main tv... for no real reason other than to do it.

If I didn't have so much power handy to do all that at the same time, I'd try to only stream files (no transcoding) from the server and let the device (whatever it would be) handle hopefully native playback. If I was starting over, I'd probably go this route.

31 minutes ago, 1812 said:

I have a beefy main server (40 threads, 18 reserved for unRaid/Plex) that transcodes and streams Plex media files to any number of different local and remote devices (ps3/roku/cable box/smart tv/phone/tables/etc..) I'm close to setting up a kodi/openelec/libre elec/whatever vm for my main tv... for no real reason other than to do it.

If I didn't have so much power handy to do all that at the same time, I'd try to only stream files (no transcoding) from the server and let the device (whatever it would be) handle hopefully native playback. If I was starting over, I'd probably go this route.

Yeah, I'm a fan of only transcoding if something is leaving my LAN

1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

Yeah, I'm a fan of only transcoding if something is leaving my LAN

Or if a device is underpowered - I've just switched my 1st gen fire TVs over to Plex from Kodi, as they were getting just too slow.  I don't know if it was Amazon bloat or my Kodi database getting too big.  Happy I made the switch as I wasting too much time trying to debug

1 minute ago, DZMM said:

Or if a device is underpowered - I've just switched my 1st gen fire TVs over to Plex from Kodi, as they were getting just too slow.  I don't know if it was Amazon bloat or my Kodi database getting too big.  Happy I made the switch as I wasting too much time trying to debug

Getting too slow is the only excuse I've got to upgrade, I'm not letting onto Mrs CHBMB that transcoding is a thing, what she doesn't know won't hurt her. :D

• Like 1
  • SSD featured and unfeatured this topic