Are there any good mid range SATA cards?

superderpbro

All i see are cheap crap and super expensive server grade SAS cards (that i know next to nothing about). I want to upgrade from basic, add a second parity, and add two more data drives to my unRAID box. I need two more SATA ports. I see some mid range priced stuff but they look similar to the cheap Syba type cards.. no idea if they are just as crap as the cheap stuff but with a higher price. I see tons of people say these cheap cards are fine if you don't need anything fancy "Have had mine running for years". And just as many people say they are trash. I've never looked before and i find it weird that i can't find a clear good "mid-range" card. Its just garbage and then $$$ hehe. Best thing i can think of is attempting to find a cheap M1015 card and flashing it to IT mode.. but that's still a $100-150ish + cables CAD solution to needing 2 ports lol

https://tinyurl.com/y7fp8w6z - https://tinyurl.com/y92mp5b5 .. Roll the dice on China? hehe

https://tinyurl.com/ydhcby2n ? hehe .. there are $50+ cards that still use Marvel controllers like this cheap POS card shrugs not sure what to do :/

EDIT: If i did buy one of them fancy SAS cards what are the correct cables to buy? 

Edited by superderpbro

There can be a huge variation in pricing.  Sometimes it's a waiting game.  It took a couple of months with a search set up on eBay, but recently I found a Dell H200 for here in the UK for £15 plus local postage.  I had to reflash it to IT mode myself, but that was pretty straight forward.   

Who do you think makes the cards for LSI and SuperMicro?

Fine smartypants.

"I wouldn't buy the cards from eBay that are listed in China. "

I have personally seen many of them (66% in fact) fail horrendously with production data on them.

Similar to Hikvision cameras, yes it's a Hikvision, no it's not a good quality one.

The ones from ebay China use clone/copy parts, sub par silicon, and in some cases fake controllers.

Now, do you want your data on something like that?

All of my LSI cards are from server pulls and had their serial numbers verified with the OEM and the LSI themselves.

You'll spend thousands on your hard drives and store priceless data. Moral of the story, don't be a tightass and buy genuine

And while I'm thinking about it.

LSI make LSI, LSI also make the ones for SuperMicro ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, miniwalks said:

All of my LSI cards are from server pulls and had their serial numbers verified with the OEM and the LSI themselves.

Hey mate, I'm in Aussie too, how does one go about verifying serial numbers? Do you ask sellers to provide those details before you purchase or do you just buy it and hope?

Also do you call the companies or is there a site you can plug the info into?

Hey mate, I'm in Aussie too, how does one go about verifying serial numbers? Do you ask sellers to provide those details before you purchase or do you just buy it and hope?

Also do you call the companies or is there a site you can plug the info into?

Hey mate,
Good to see more Aussies around :)
Yeah, I'll usually do it one of a couple ways;

Ask the seller for the serial and email LSI/OEM.
Otherwise if it's paypal I'll buy and hope, then refund if it can't be verified

If you need a M1015 I have a genuine one in Melb that isn't being used ;-)

Cheers

21 hours ago, miniwalks said:

Similar to Hikvision cameras, yes it's a Hikvision, no it's not a good quality one.

Slightly off topic, but I have three HikVision cameras, two bought straight from China though AliExpress, and one from the UK from a HikVision dealer on Amazon.  One of the three died after a year, and it was one of the AliExpress ones.

There's clearly a difference between export models and ones bought from China directly.

Slightly off topic, but I have three HikVision cameras, two bought straight from China though AliExpress, and one from the UK from a HikVision dealer on Amazon.  One of the three died after a year, and it was one of the AliExpress ones.

There's clearly a difference between export models and ones bought from China directly.

Ageeed 100% - a high amount of the China/AliExpress ones are clones/fakes .... just like the "LSI" cards ;-)

Absolutely mate, I'm in Newcastle but I'd be happy to pay for postage. Out of interest, are you still selling the RAM kits you listed a month ago?

Nah I ended up selling that set of RAM as I couldn't find a SuperMicro board that would suit my needs without breaking the bank.

I'd be looking for probably $100AU Inc express post to you?

On 25/09/2017 at 11:02 PM, miniwalks said:

Nah I ended up selling that set of RAM as I couldn't find a SuperMicro board that would suit my needs without breaking the bank.

I'd be looking for probably $100AU Inc express post to you?

Hey mate, sorry for the late reply, just wanted to make sure that all the hardware for my new build would fit together before committing to buying anything. 

Yep $100 posted sounds good to me. Any decent postage method with tracking is fine, doesn't necessarily need to be express as I will be waiting on other components. Though I sometimes find that express is cheapest for small items anyway. 

I'd suggest adding the SAS9201-8i to your list. It is similar to the other controller cards you are looking at but does not require flashing. Available on EBay for about $50 USD.

Another nice card is the SAS9207-8i. Also no flashing. PCIe 3.0.$100 USD from Newegg.

4 hours ago, SSD said:

I'd suggest adding the SAS9201-8i to your list. It is similar to the other controller cards you are looking at but does not require flashing. Available on EBay for about $50 USD.

Another nice card is the SAS9207-8i. Also no flashing. PCIe 3.0.$100 USD from Newegg.

Hi,

I can get a HP LSI SAS9212-4i 6 Gbps (50euros in Spain). I think is a similar one. Is a good card for unraid? need flashing?

Sorry I am a newcomer to raid cards.

12 hours ago, pcaro said:

Hi,

I can get a HP LSI SAS9212-4i 6 Gbps (50euros in Spain). I think is a similar one. Is a good card for unraid? need flashing?

Sorry I am a newcomer to raid cards.

I have never used that card. The numbers all sound similar but that does not mean the card is supported.

Update - did a little searching and seems that this card is supported. @WeeboTech has used a 4i4e version.