Some VNC questions

ksarnelli

I've been running ESXi for a while (as well as unRAID for storage/dockers) and decided to migrate a bunch of my VMs over to unRAID.

The migration went well...but long story short, the NoVNC client is absolutely terrible.  Therefore I'd like to use an external VNC client.  I had a few issues/questions:

1. What's the best practice on using an external VNC client (that has a fixed address book, so a static port is required)?  I assume you can't use the auto option, so I specified the port in the XML and got it to work.  I also want to password protect it, which I assume has to be done in the GUI and the issue is that wipes out my static port setting.  How do I specify a static port and restrict access via a password?
  2. Does anyone else have major issues with the version of VNC server that is being used for VMs?   RealVNC throws protocol errors almost every time I try to connect.  UltraVNC seems to work reliably, but it doesn't have an address book capability that I know of.

I guess I'm used to ESXi where everything just works, but really hoping someone can help me out here.  Thanks!

You are right in that using Edit mode always resets the VNC port to auto (I have raised a feature request for being able to set it to a static value in Edit mode).  You might get around your problem by setting the password first and then afterwards using the Edit XML option to switch to a static port.

in terms of VNC clients I use realVNC which allows me to have lots of preset VNC connections and activate the ones I want to use on demand.

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You might get around your problem by setting the password first and then afterwards using the Edit XML option to switch to a static port.

I tried that, but it seems that 'Edit XML' removes the password and 'Edit' removes the static port.  So you can only have one or the other :o

12 minutes ago, ksarnelli said:

I tried that, but it seems that 'Edit XML' removes the password and 'Edit' removes the static port.  So you can only have one or the other :o

If that is the case then the only way around that I could see (which is a bit messy and error prone) is bypass the GUI and access the xml files from the Command line to set the static port.

you might want to add a comment about your problem to my post in the feature request area asking for GUI support for setting static ports.

Edited by itimpi
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 1:54 PM, ksarnelli said:
  1. Does anyone else have major issues with the version of VNC server that is being used for VMs?   RealVNC throws protocol errors almost every time I try to connect.  UltraVNC seems to work reliably, but it doesn't have an address book capability that I know of.

Just in case anyone else frequently gets RFB protocol error when connecting to a VM with RealVNC, I found a solution here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/vms-using-freenas-11-gui-error-connecting-via-vnc-at-linux-setup.54582/

Basically, just change the quality level from 'Auto' to 'High'.  Works like a charm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1