HomeLab + Gaming + NAS

Hello!

I am planning a completely new build for my home.

Situation now:

I have two servers in an vCenter ESXi-Cluster. All together I have two SuperMicro IPMI-Boards each with a Xeon 1231 v3. In total there are about 40TB disk space, 64GB RAM. Like I said, its running with ESXi, Veeam and a heterogeneous environment - Sophos UTM, Linux, Windows, macOS (which I would not miss too much as I have my MacBook). There is also a dedicated gaming machine with an i5 3570k at 4.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD and 1080Ti.

What I want:

Sell most of the parts and get ONE machine. Why you might ask? Well, because its been a dream of mine for years and I have a feeling that now could be the right time to start. Also my appartement wouldn't look like a server room anymore :D

I am a bit struggling though. Should I get a dual CPU Xeon-Board or an i7 2011 v3? I have a feeling that the i7 would suit me just well. AMD isn't gonna happen right now - because of compatibility issues I am reading about.

So it would be mainly m.2 SSDs SSDs some HDD at least 64GB RAM and the 1080Ti. All in one case and a NAS for my backups.

I yet have to read about backup possibilities with unRaid but I am not too worried about this - there is always a solution for any problem (well nearly any!).

So please help me out. Maybe you have some experience with my situation or can give me some logical advice I am missing.

Thanks in advance!

-nofan

Edited by nofan

X99 is dead end, so unless you're on a budget you're better off avoiding it.

If you're intent on making an investment, then I'd say go for one of the new X299 i7 or i9.  Despite the initial bad press (mostly due to overheating VRMs during overclocking), they're really quite impressive.  Expensive, but it's the HETC future on Intel.

If you don't mind a bit of tinkering, then there's also Ryzen 7.  unRAID may still have some issues with VMs on Ryzen, but they're being quickly solved in the 6.4rc series. 

All that said, I'm back to my X99/6850K rig after my Ryzen's motherboard failed, and I'm sitting wondering why I bothered getting my Ryzen 7-1700X.  The 6850K is perfectly fine.