Asus Z97-Pro Gamer mobo won't boot from Unraid USB

Hi.  I am new to Unraid.  I am trying to install unraid (boot from the install usb) on the following hardware:

Motherboard:  Asus z97-pro gamer flashed to the latest bios

CPU:  i7-4790k

Memory:  32gb gskill trident

NVMe:  Samsung 950 - 250gb

HDD:  5 miscellaneous manufactures - 2x2TB; 3x1TB

Have tried multiple USB's - with the same result

I am unable to get the pc to boot from the unraid usb.  I believe this has something to do with the legacy boot option because I am able to load unraid on 2 other machines from the same usb.  On the gigabyte based laptop, I can select legacy boot and it loads unraid.  On the Lenovo based laptop, I don't need to make any changes and it fires up.  Please help!  What am I missing, I have tried to toggle every setting in the bios on the Asus mobo to no avail.  If I force it to boot from the NON-UEFI mode from the USB, after the post screen, the display just goes dark and no activity can be detected.  If I force it to boot in UEFI mode from the usb, it goes into the bios and then nothing happens.

Prior to the Unraid project, the pc was running fine - Win 10 pro and an Ubuntu 16.04 VM in virtual box.

Thanks in advance.

Are there any known issues with 6.4 RC that I should know as a newbee Unraid user?  The load for the Unraid server is to be:

Media server running the usual dockers

A Win 10 VM - for general use.  No gaming

A Win 7 VM - general use

An Ubuntu VM - to play around in

A OSX VM - to learn to use OSX

Of course all the vm(s) will not run concurrently.

Thanks.