Shared storage for VMs

Rhynri

Hello!

I'm looking at setting up an unRAID box for the specific purpose of running several gaming machines out of one tower.  Watching LTT's 7 head gaming machine video*, they mention something about BTRFS "snapshots" that allow you to combine multiple VM's disks into one that will combine same data and not delete it when one of the VM's does. This would be ideal.  Unfortunately my google-fu is not up to par, and I haven't been able to dig this arrangement up.  I'm sure it's there, I just don't know what to search for.

In a related note, it currently has three 500gb 960 Evo drives.  Ideally, I'd like to combine these for speed, and make virtual drives out of them for the VM's.   I'm not really concerned about any data security to speak of, as these machines will be "disposable" clones of each other, essentially.  I'm also willing to add additional drives as needed for an optimum configuration.  Any assistance on how to configure this storage for optimal performance would be welcome.  If the answer is just "stripe them and plop your VM's on them", perfect!  If anything else, please elaborate, I'm all ears. Thanks for your time!

*Link should bring you to the correct time in the video for your viewing pleasure. It's 10:45 if it doesn't.

Edited by Rhynri
Fixed drive amounts.
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...