Shoko Server for anime container on unRAID

deusxanime

I'm new to unRAID and Docker containers, but wondering what needs to be done to get the new Shoko (formerly JMM) Server docker container running on unRAID, if anything? I thought the idea of containers is they are universal and run on anything, but it seems that there are a lot of special unRAID containers tweaked to run on here and whatnot, so I'm wondering what is actually necessary. 

Can I just add the Shoko repo at https://hub.docker.com/r/cazzar/shokoserver/ and grab the container, mount up necessary paths to appdata and my media, and start it up? Or are there other considerations?

If there is other work needed to get this going, anyone who is better at containers on unRAID able to assist?

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

Look in the real docker faq here. There's a couple entries on adding in non unraided containers.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk because I can

I assume you mean this one? 

Look's like it is mostly just adjusting paths and such as I expected then? If so should be pretty easy, so thanks for the info!

If I'm feeling ambitious maybe I'll try to get a template made so others can use it as well.

2 hours ago, ShadowVlican said:

glad i googled this and someone was already solving the problem!!

i await your template!!

I've mostly got the template made, but there are some additional steps and currently have it set to run as root. Would like to figure out if I can get it running as nobody/users like most unraid containers. PM me if you want and I can sent it over for you to play with.

17 hours ago, ShadowVlican said:

are there any downsides to having it run as root?

sorry if that's a dumb question, i'm a complete linux noob and was only able to setup unRAID + dockers following guides letter by letter

Well there are a couple reasons. As with the Windows "administrator" account, it is just generally considered a bad idea to run anything as the root/admin account. Also, most everything in unRAID is owned by "nobody" at the linux filesystem level and if the container creates files they would likely not be accessible to regular users from CIFS/SMB share perspective. Luckily Shoko mostly just scans, catalogs, renames, and maybe moves files around, so it doesn't really create any files itself. I'm not sure if import and moving the files around could set the permissions to the user doing so (root in this case) and that could break access to the file if so. 

In the end, ideally I'd like to get it working as the standard recommend unRAID user of nobody (and group users; UID 99, GID 100), that way if it does do anything that would have affect on permissions it would be the ones unRAID expects.

Hopefully that explanation makes sense!

• 3 weeks later...

@deusxanime You can't set the user the container will be running as without modifying the image. To modify the image, you'll need to change the Dockerfile and rebuild the image.

I tried modifying the Dockerfile to have the resulting files owned by nobody and it seems to work, but as I don't have access to a windows PC, I can't test the desktop part and the current WebUI feels incomplete.

13 hours ago, ken-ji said:

@deusxanime You can't set the user the container will be running as without modifying the image. To modify the image, you'll need to change the Dockerfile and rebuild the image.

I tried modifying the Dockerfile to have the resulting files owned by nobody and it seems to work, but as I don't have access to a windows PC, I can't test the desktop part and the current WebUI feels incomplete.

The web UI is only rudimentary, it's not (at least currently) a replacement for the actual full thick client. The container just runs the server portion of Shoko. It's just enough to basically get the server going and connected to a DB so that you can connect a proper client and do the more detailed config and use it from there.

For permissions, it's great your were able to fix it, but to maintain that you would have to fork and keep up to date your own docker hub project/repo right? Sorry don't know a ton about docker, just getting into it.

• 8 months later...

Looks like they released a new v3.9.0 the past week and you need to update a few parameters to get it working with the new version when you upgrade, if you were previously running this container.

Likely you had a mapping from [container]/root/.shoko/ to [host]/mnt/user/appdata/shokoserver/. The [container] path needs to be changed now to /home/shoko/.shoko/.

Also you need to find your unRAID host's /mnt/user/appdata/shokoserver/Shoko.CLI/settings.json file and update any references in there that still point to /root/.shoko/ and change them to /home/shoko/.shoko/ as well. I had 6 different places I had to update that in my settings.json file, not sure if that would be the same for everyone but be aware there are multiple.

FYI, for anyone else that might be using Shoko Server container on their unRAID.