I May Have Goofed....How to Proceeed

Griff1324

I have a 2 TB data disc that just threw up an exclamation mark in the dashboard.  The drive has relocated sectors, current pending sectors and offline uncorrectable errors.  I had an 8 TB WD Red laying around so I went through the preclear process on that drive and mounted it in a new slot and formatted the drive.  This is where I may have goofed because it appears that I should have used the 8 TB drive to replace the 2 TB drive.  

The 8 TB drive is now mounted and available in the array.  What is the best procedure to get the data off of the 2 TB drive and over to the new 8 TB drive?  I will also need to remove the 2 TB drive from the array without replacing it with a new drive.  

I look forward to your help!  Thanks.

I assume you have parity?   If so your best way forward at this point is to stop the array;  remove the dodgy disk;  restart the array and let it emulate the missing disk;  copy the data from the emulated to one of the other drives.   During this process keep the removed drive available and unchanged in case it is needed for recovering any data

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I assume you have parity?   If so your best way forward at this point is to stop the array;  remove the dodgy disk;  restart the array and let it emulate the missing disk;  copy the data from the emulated to one of the other drives.   During this process keep the removed drive available and unchanged in case it is needed for recovering any data

Yes, I do have parity. 

59 minutes ago, Griff1324 said:

Yes, I do have parity. 

Good.

once you have copied the data onto good drives, the way to remove a drive is to do New Config using the option to retain all current drive settings.   When you go back to the Main tab remove the assignment of the drive removed; and do any other drive re-arrangement you want at this point;   Start the array and allow parity to be built (the act of removing a Drive always invalidates it).   When the parity build completes you will be back in a protected state.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

Good.

once you have copied the data onto good drives, the way to remove a drive is to do New Config using the option to retain all current drive settings.   When you go back to the Main tab remove the assignment of the drive removed; and do any other drive re-arrangement you want at this point;   Start the array and allow parity to be built (the act of removing a Drive always invalidates it).   When the parity build completes you will be back in a protected state.

Thanks.  Just to confirm, I can do rearrangement of the disk locations within unRAID, as well as physically relocate some of the drives in my server to different slots, prior to starting the array and building the parity...correct?  

Also, if a drive happens to fail during the parity rebuild then i am SOL and will lose the data on the drive, correct?