Can access unraid server by IP only

michael123

I have brand new computer, it could not access unRaid from the start.

Computer it replaced ran Windows 7, the new one is Windows 10.

All my shares are Public

No credentials stored on Windows machine

The only user is 'root' without password

I get a login dialog when I even try to access the \\server, just to get a list of (public) shares

There were a lot of issues with Win10 and SMB when Win10 was in the introductory phase but they seemed to have disappeared as updates to both Win10 and the Linux SMB protocol were released. 

Read through this thread and see if anything there might help. 

I do understand your frustration.  SMB is a kludge and when it works, it is wonderful.  However, when it doesn't, witchcraft and magic are sometimes that only thing that seem to make it behave. 

One more complication with Win10 as there are so many different variations of it.  And one of the major differences is the security levels which is enable by default.  Here is quote from the "Windows 10" article on Wikipedia:

" Windows 10 is available in five main editions for personal computer devices, of which the Home and Pro versions are sold at retail in most countries, and as pre-loaded software on new computers. Home is aimed at home users, while Pro is aimed at small businesses and enthusiasts. Each edition of Windows 10 includes all of the capabilities and features of the edition below it, and add additional features oriented towards their market segments; for example, Pro adds additional networking and security features such as BitLocker, Device Guard, Windows Update for Business, and the ability to join a domain. The remaining editions, Enterprise and Education, contain additional features aimed towards business environments, and are only available through volume licensing. "

Edited by Frank1940

That might be a 'Local Master Browser' issue (?)

I use a laptop from my work, which has one domain 

but all other machines, including the unraid, belong to a specific workgroup

When I connect to the settings page of unRaid, under SMB I see that currently elected domain is the one of my work, not the local.

And something weird, I do see that this elected master browser change for 1-2 second to this of my home, but then immediately changes back to domain of my workplace

weird

So this is your work computer.  I really would hate to advise you to make changes or it might not work in your work environment. 

You do realize that it is perfect alright to use the IP address of your server to access your SMB shares?   (That is the way that SMB originally worked back in the Windows for Workgroups era!!!)   If I were to do that,  I, personally, would want to change to a static IP address for my unRAID server so that it never accidentally got changed due to some DHCP reconfiguration.  Some newer home router have some way of reserving addresses fro static assignments.  (With a few older routers, you might have to assign an address near the top of the allowable range to make sure that DHCP process would never try to assign that address.)

Edited by Frank1940

should I remove then these lines from the SMB Extra -

[global]
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

Where should I add the SMB config lines ("ntlm auth = yes" )?

I want to emphasize again that I don't have any security and I don't want to, the only user I have on unRaid is a default one 'root' without password

4 hours ago, michael123 said:

should I remove then these lines from the SMB Extra -

[global]
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

Where should I add the SMB config lines ("ntlm auth = yes" )?

I want to emphasize again that I don't have any security and I don't want to, the only user I have on unRaid is a default one 'root' without password

From a quick google, the parameter is a Global one , so add it as the next line in the SMB Extra window.   (It is almost starting to look like like a Windows 10 update may be breaking SMB again...)

I would not remove the lines which are currently there.  Those are lines which will insure that your unRAID server ends up as the Local Master.  Having an 'always on' server be the Local Master generally provides for the most stable SMB network.  (In my case, without a stable Local Master, I can always see my servers but the other Windows computers are often missing for long periods of time when they are first turned on.) 

@michael123,  If your friends have unRAID servers without any problems, take your laptop over there and see if it works  there. 

Have you installed the the Local Master plugin?  IT can be found in the first post of this thread:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/34889-dynamix-v6-plugins/

If you are interested, there is also a tool for doing a similar thing that is available for Windows computers, you can find it here:

https://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/

I have downloaded and used it (I currently have ver 1.6) in the past but I do feel obligated to warn about downloads from unverified Internet source.  There is always some danger of  getting more than you think you are getting. 

One more thing, make sure that your Workgroup names for all of your computers is all Capital letters,  i.e., WORKGROUP        (Windows ignores capitalization of resource and file names,  but Linux doesn't.  Thus, Test,txt and test.txt are the same file to Windows and two different files to Linux.  I have no idea how Samba resolves this issue... )

Remember that I said this earlier about SMB---

16 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

However, when it doesn't (work), witchcraft and magic are sometimes that only thing that seem to make it behave. 

Frank1940

First, thank for your dedication to resolve the issue :)

Yes, I do have a plug-in (isn't the one that tells me what is the current domain?)

RE - friends, I wrote they have Synology, not unRaid. Synology, Qnap - nobody experiencing these issues.  

So, you say I should have these lines - 

[global]
preferred master = yes
os level = 255
ntlm auth = yes

I am back to what I had prior to Windows 10 upgrade - on my home PC I can now access unRaid by name, but on my office laptop I still can't

Local Master Browser sometimes my home workgroup, sometimes I see domain from my work.

I read these days that Microsoft are going to drop SMBv1/Cifs support from next major upgrade, what does it mean to us?