unRaid migration, with Plex docker: good idea?

rutherford

My unRaid server is getting pretty old. I think it's just cooked it's second motherboard, and I'm now on my third. Probably the powersupply, but I'm just going to build a whole new one - and migrate over.

Been reading around a little and one thread suggested plugging in 1-3 old drives and using the Unassigned Devices plugin to copy the data to the new array. Good idea? vs gigabit ethernet? 2.5hrs per TB (125MB/sec) isn't too bad.

A while back I got frustrated with integrating Plex into my existing unRaid box. Virtualization was a pain. I ended up building a second computer and it worked way better. But, now it seems that the system is more robust, and easier perhaps? with running Plex on an unRaid server. Is that true?

thanks!

Plex, and many other applications, are a cinch to run on unRAID (assuming adequate hardware) since the advent of Docker in version 6.  What version of unRAID are you running?  VMs are much easier than they used to be as well.  Virtualization may still require some tweaks here and there, (which are easily done) especially when passing through hardware, depending on how your IOMMU groups are organized with your MB/CPU combination.

I am running 9-10 Docker applications (including Plex) and two VMs (one Windows 10, one Kubuntu) and all were pretty straightforward to install and configure.  In the case of the VMs, I am not passing through video cards or other hardware yet; that's a future project, but everything is much easier to deal with that it was 2-3 years ago.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, dkerlee said:

Been reading around a little and one thread suggested plugging in 1-3 old drives and using the Unassigned Devices plugin to copy the data to the new array. Good idea?

That will work.  In fact, I did my last data migration that way.  A few months ago, I upgraded from 3TB to 8TB disks in my array.  I had a backup copy of all the data on external drives.  I just plugged the drives into USB3 ports on my server, mounted them as unassigned devices and copied the data over to the array.  It seemed to go quickly enough but I was only copying about 5-6 TB of data.  I could have also attached the old drives to the server (since I have open SATA ports), mounted them as unassigned devices and copied the data to the new drives.  I did that as well with one drive in the past. 

You did not give any details about your current system or unRAID version, but, if your old disks are still ReiserFS, now, would be a good time to migrate over to XFS on the new disks.