Server Started By Itself? (5.0.3)

Greeetings,

Just sitting there checking my emails this morning and my unraid server started up on its own accord. How can this happen? Never had this happen before that I can recall?? Wasn't even aware it COULD start up on its own.

There is NO wol configured and it is connected to an UPS that is fully charged. The server was fully powered down the night before. This has got me worried. Any suggestions. Thanks.

22 minutes ago, flambot said:

Thanks Bob for the input. Any way I can check this. It had a new battery more recently than not. Can I tell the battery level from the bios?

Its possible but I've never seen a bios with that - haven't seen everything out there so it could exist.  Pull it out and use a volt meter would be the most complete check.  CR2032 batteries are not expensive (usually) so it wouldn't cost much if you do replace it.  Dead giveaway however would be if something like your boot device changes without you making a change in the bios or changing any drives.  At this point unless it is known that the battery is 5+ years old I wouldn't bother replacing it.  Under normal conditions I think a MB battery is supposed to last 5-10 years.  I suppose static electric discharge might do it too but that is another long shot.  However unless someone else has a better idea I don't think you really have anything to worry about unless it starts happening all the time.

Edited by BobPhoenix
7 minutes ago, BobPhoenix said:

Its possible but I've never seen a bios with that - haven't seen everything out there so it could exist.  Pull it out and use a volt meter would be the most complete check.  CR2032 batteries are not expensive (usually) so it wouldn't cost much if you do replace it.  Dead giveaway however would be if something like your boot device changes without you making a change in the bios or changing any drives.  At this point unless it is known that the battery is 5+ years old I wouldn't bother replacing it.  Under normal conditions I think a MB battery is supposed to last 5-10 years.  I suppose static electric discharge might do it too but that is another long shot.  However unless someone else has a better idea I don't think you really have anything to worry about unless it starts happening all the time.

It's less than 5 years old...I would say about two or less.

What surprised me most was the server was powered fully down. I don't sleep it.

I guess I have to look at the bios to see if wol settings have changed. Been so long, I don't remember what key to press?? :$

1 hour ago, flambot said:

It's less than 5 years old...I would say about two or less.

What surprised me most was the server was powered fully down. I don't sleep it.

I guess I have to look at the bios to see if wol settings have changed. Been so long, I don't remember what key to press?? :$

Probably F2 or Del keys.  At least those are the two I've seen most often.  Although I think I had one that was F10.

2 minutes ago, BobPhoenix said:

Probably F2 or Del keys.  At least those are the two I've seen most often.  Although I think I had one that was F10.

Next time I boot it up, I'll have a look - sometimes it all happens too fast to catch it. Probably should record all the bios settings at the same time just in case :/

Really appreicate the pointers.

As a follow-up to this issue, I have found that the S3 state is enabled in the bios. However...my on board network died and has been replaced with a network card. I am not sure if the bios setting affects the new card or not. Using "ethtool eth 0" I have verified that the card is in fact WOL ready and displays the following as found here...https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)

Supports Wake-on: pumbg
       Wake-on: g

This seems to support that WOL is in fact available and turned on.

I found this...https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/288717/how-to-disable-wake-on-lan that states how to turn it off. Can someone please confirm this works in unraid linux. Will it create any other issues? Do I still have to turn the bios setting off?? I assume I do. 

The key to enter the bios on my setup was "Del."

Thanks.

I believe that would work but Linux is not something I'm very strong in.  It won't hurt but with unRAID I think you will need to add it to the go file. It might also be a network setting that bonienl might know about in the newest versions of unRAID - I haven't kept up with the changes very well.  Turning off the bios setting won't hurt either and probably IS necessary.  "Del" would have been my bet.

Edited by BobPhoenix