[Plugin] NUT v2 - Network UPS Tools

dmacias

15 hours ago, PilaScat said:

Hi, today my new UPS (APC BX1200MI-GR) arrived, set it up and charging, but in the notification I'm getting this:
image.png.f68a30ff3c7e85675b9dc3a9d8623fa4.png

Is not true, it's going to 100%

Other screens:
image.thumb.png.8e2b8c07689ff2be2c9c30ca02c22ce7.png

image.thumb.png.01a223859419a134bc53ce0513894407.png

While making the screens I saw live the percentage going to 0% then back to 99%, triggering the notification
I'm connected to NUT with Home Assistant for automation, but I'm on standalone, it works but is it correct?
Yes I have powertop but I checked and it isn't touching the UPS USB, and it worked the same with the old UPS, same UPS but 950VA

nut-debug-20240316165522.zip 14.74 kB · 0 downloads

Hello!

This is unfortunately a known bug in the NUT backend driver (not the plugin) with that UPS series at the moment, which we're currently investigating. Do you perhaps have a chance to try the other older NUT backends (NUT Settings => Network UPS Tools Backend Switch => ideally reboot or at least reinstall plugin after switching the backend) if it also happens with the older versions? This would help us a lot to close in on what is causing the bug by comparison so we can hopefully fix it in the APC driver as soon as possible.

An unrelated question, how are you connected to NUT with Home Assistant when you're using "standalone" NUT mode? Normally that should only work in "netserver" NUT mode.   Edit: Nevermind, just tested it and NUT also exposes the general UPS information in "standalone" mode.

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/2347

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

Edited by Rysz
On 3/4/2024 at 3:31 PM, Rysz said:

It is reported either by the UPS or the UPS driver, you can disable the notification itself in the NUT Settings ("Battery Replacement Notification" to "No"), but you'll always see it in the UPS Status (in GUI) if that's what your UPS or UPS driver reports. At least disabling the notification you won't be bothered with e-mail or push notifications from NUT about your battery needing a replacement anymore - so hope that helps a bit!

If possible can you also post the NUT Debug Package here (can be found in NUT Settings) so I can take a look at what else might be causing the UPS status to be reported this way? Thanks in advance!

Hello.

I've been away for a few weeks, but here are the debug logs attached.

(I was getting battery replacement warnings on my new APC BX series UPS)

I know I can disable this feature, but i find it very useful, to get notification, when the battery needs replacement eventually, and the UPS has this automatic self test every 2 weeks.

Last time I got the replacement warning was yesterday 9:24PM (march 16th). 

Thanks for looking into it!

nut-debug-20240317235549.zip

6 hours ago, LSL1337 said:

Hello.

I've been away for a few weeks, but here are the debug logs attached.

(I was getting battery replacement warnings on my new APC BX series UPS)

I know I can disable this feature, but i find it very useful, to get notification, when the battery needs replacement eventually, and the UPS has this automatic self test every 2 weeks.

Last time I got the replacement warning was yesterday 9:24PM (march 16th). 

Thanks for looking into it!

nut-debug-20240317235549.zip 15.18 kB · 0 downloads

Hello, in the meantime it was discovered there's currently a backend driver bug with the BX series (see post above) which we're working on. Many BX users are reporting false RB or LB states, so it's NUT and not your UPS. I hope there'll be a fix soon, I'll keep you posted.

Same as above, can you please try the other backends with the backend switch in NUT Settings (reboot or reinstall plugin afterwards) to see if it happens on the older backend versions also?

Edited by Rysz
7 minutes ago, PilaScat said:

From what I can see the problem started after march 11 release, I'll try to switch backend when I can reboot the server

Thanks - you can also reinstall the NUT plugin after changing the backend if you can't reboot. Interesting would be if it works on "release (2.8.0 stable)" in particular. The issue with that series must be older than March, because NUT 2.8.1. was released 10/2023 and the default backend the plugin uses was compiled from that release by me 11/2023 and has remained unchanged since then.

Edited by Rysz

Responding to below post dated 3/18/24, subject: NUT with APC Back-UPS BGM1500 biweekly test shuts down immediately

The problem still persists but my current NUT version still shows 2.8.0. I have changed the default to 2.8.1 and rebooted. Ther backend now shows version nut-2.8.1-x86_64-2stable.ssl11, and is running. Will advise if the the issue occurs (based on previous schedule, it should shutdown on 3/26/24 at ~1:00am). Thanks for the message!

Edited by hfuhruhurr
  • Thanks 1

I've had the NUT V2 plugin up and running for sometime now, recently I seem to stop getting data from it after a few mins to hours.

phoenix-diagnostics-20240318-1711.zip

I checked the USB cable, and ran the auto detect in the plugin again which seems to work but after a bit it fails again.

I even tried replacing the USB cable with a new one.

Might someone have some insight into what is breaking?

I see this repeated in the logs.

Mar 18 17:12:51 phoenix upsmon[1164]: Poll UPS [[email protected]] failed - Data stale
Mar 18 17:12:53 phoenix usbhid-ups[978]: libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything
Mar 18 17:12:55 phoenix usbhid-ups[978]: libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything

Which from my searching seems could be a failed USB cable?

I'm just hoping the UPS (or rather the USB controller / port on it) isn't going bad.

9 hours ago, snowmirage said:

I've had the NUT V2 plugin up and running for sometime now, recently I seem to stop getting data from it after a few mins to hours.

phoenix-diagnostics-20240318-1711.zip

I checked the USB cable, and ran the auto detect in the plugin again which seems to work but after a bit it fails again.

I even tried replacing the USB cable with a new one.

Might someone have some insight into what is breaking?

I see this repeated in the logs.

Mar 18 17:12:51 phoenix upsmon[1164]: Poll UPS [[email protected]] failed - Data stale
Mar 18 17:12:53 phoenix usbhid-ups[978]: libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything
Mar 18 17:12:55 phoenix usbhid-ups[978]: libusb1: Could not open any HID devices: insufficient permissions on everything

Which from my searching seems could be a failed USB cable?

I'm just hoping the UPS (or rather the USB controller / port on it) isn't going bad.

Can you please post the NUT Debug Package (can be found in NUT Settings) ?