Finally connected a KillaWatt to my Ryzen system

RonUSMC

1 hour ago, RonUSMC said:

Here's my system. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pfrMsJ

5 Sata HDDs, 1 M.2 SSD connected to a Ryzen 5 1600.

Normal usage, averaging 60w. Transcoding with all CPUs pegged, 132w. With all CPUs maxed out and I spun up all the drives, 137w.

Nice rig, I don't have the heart to turn my 1600x into a server It's a shame I got bit by the building bug this summer and after building my daily driver (R7 1800x) I couldn't stop so I built the 1600x rig on an x370 chipset with a strix 1080 GPU and haven't even finished overclocking it yet turned it on about a dozen times since completion now I'm having fun converting my pre built into an unRAID server this stuff will never end I'm now starting the plan to build a threadripper rig gonna have to let one of them go Hows the performance transcoding with that rig sounds like its working for ya?

@mrbilky Microcenter had a sale on the cpu and mobo, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. Transcoding is great. I've been using the Handbrake docker and it goes right through them. Nothing exact, but it was doing about 30fps transcoding and my i73820 was doing about 21fps.

@Benson This is a great setup. My only problem is I still can't see the mobo temperatures or fan speeds. I have all these nice Noctua pwm fans in it, but they are useless. I've posted here a few times and posted on Reddit as well, but I don't know how to update the damn it87 package so it can read the sensors. Other than that, I really like it.

@RonUSMC I haven't setup monitoring fan speed/temperature in unRAID. Exclude driver package issue, you still need do many thing i.e. map the sensor pin, calculate fan speed divider .... etc

I let those control in BIOS, have config one case fan will stop if CPU temp below 40c, it work well, reliable and simple. By visual check the fan, I will got some status about CPU temp/workload, I think that's enough.

Edited by Benson
2 hours ago, Benson said:

I let those control in BIOS, have config one case fan will stop if CPU temp below 40c, it work well, reliable and simple. By visual check the fan, I will got some status about CPU temp/workload, I think that's enough.

That's what I'm doing now, just letting the bios handle it. I just have no idea what temperature my cpu runs at idle, load, anything. I've set the pwm fans up but they are Noctua fans and are so quiet I never hear them change speed. The bad part about the bios is you can't hook them up to HDD temps, and I have 3 fans on HDDs, so when they get hot there's nothing I can do. Eventually it will get fixed because UnRaid will update the kernel with the new it87 package. I think the current package is over a year old.  I was talking to the package owner on the package's git and it will read the new sensors, but you have to download and compile it yourself. Beyond my skillset, lol.

I set up a Windows VM to see if I could install the Gigabyte applications that can see that stuff and set up the Smart Fan application..... but then after I got it installed I realized that it sees the fake Seabios motherboard, lol.