Black screen VM’s untill drivers have loaded??

johnvid

Hi there,

I have a problem with my VM’s. Every VM I start gives me a blank black screen while booting. It’s stays black untill the Windows Login screen loads. That is the moment my monitor gets for the first time a signal. 

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I’ve tried a diffrend GPU and a diffrend monitor. I even tried making a new VM with no extra’s. But unfortunally still nothing. 

VNC is running great. 

Anyone?

This is my setup:

Unraid 6.4.0-RC9F

Hardware:

Motherboard - Asrock EP2C602

CPU - 2X Intel XEON E5-2680

RAMM - 2X HP 16GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 - CL13 Registerd - ECC (32GB)

SATA Controller 1 - Onboard 

SATA Controller 2 - LSI 9211-8i

Cache - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (500GB)

Array HDD’s - Div (16TB)

Onboard GPU - Asrock VGA ASPEED

PCIe GPU - AMD Radeon R9-280X Toxic

The onboard VGA gives me the POST and Unraid GUI etc. The PCIe gives no image untill drivers have been loaded by Windows VM. I can’t see the POST for the VM’s. 

Tried a NVIDIA GPU but gives same problem.

Tried diffrend Monitor.

Tried diffrend PCIe slots from CPU 1 & CPU 2.

Also tried a new USB stick with a Unraid trial and make new VM’s.

Removed all other extension cards. (USB3.0, LSI SATA Card etc)

Even tried Resetting my BIOS.

But nothing seems to do the trick. It used to work just fine but don’t know when it stopped working because I mostly work remote. 

Does anyone know what is wrong?

A5982A7A-7954-4FD4-8D21-59902BAD672D.jpeg

Edited by johnvid
2 hours ago, FreeMan said:

I can't help you, as I don't run any VMs, but I'm curious - were you getting a POST type screen previously? Is there something from unRAID that says "VM Loading"? Is this actually a problem or just an annoyance?

I'm just curious and trying to learn...

There is a POST normally and a simulated BIOS. It is a problem for me. 

Anyone???

Hello,

I have the same exact issue on my both VMs (Windows and MacOS). The issue only started to happen recently just after I changed my screen. 

I switched from an DVI 1920x1200 screen to Displayport 2560x1440 screen. 

Maybe the issue is in the BIOS where maybe the resolution is not correctly detected. I have to check with a VNC screen. 

Or this is because of an issue with Displayport. I've seen some threads with that already(not on this forum).

18 hours ago, arkan said:

Hello,

I have the same exact issue on my both VMs (Windows and MacOS). The issue only started to happen recently just after I changed my screen. 

I switched from an DVI 1920x1200 screen to Displayport 2560x1440 screen. 

Maybe the issue is in the BIOS where maybe the resolution is not correctly detected. I have to check with a VNC screen. 

Or this is because of an issue with Displayport. I've seen some threads with that already(not on this forum).

Hi there,

I’ve not switched from screen when the problem started happening. But tried diffrend screens with diffrend ports. (VGA, DVI and HDMI) Nothing works. :(

I think your problem is maybe related but not exactly the same. Let me know if you have any luck. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 1812 said:

this occurs on my osx VMs when I run them with a vnc connection as primary and the gpu as secondary.

But I don’t use a secondary connection. And even tried a new Unraid install and made the most basic vm with only a GPU, hdd, keyboard and mouse. But still nothing? :(