Updating Supermicro BIOS X9DRi-F

I have been having total system crash when I reboot a VM with GPU passthru. The error message I get in the unRAID console is:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Timeout: Not all CPUs entered broadcast exception handler
Shutting down cpus with NMI
Kernel Offset: disabled
Rebooting in 30 seconds..

Google search tells me to update the CPU microcode, which can be done by updating the bios.

So I downloaded the latest BIOS from Supermicro's website (R 3.2a), and the read me comes with a scary warning:

You must update the IPMI firmware to version 2.0 or above first, Before upgrading this BIOS.

To disable ME (Intel Management Engine), before BIOS update starts, power down the system, and set the JPME1 and/or JPME2 (if applicable) jumpers on the motherboard to pin 2-3 location.  ***Fail to do so may result in unnecessary RMA process.***  After the BIOS update, please power down the system, and return the jumpers to their default locations (pin 1-2).

Can someone walk me thru the process? I have updated BIOSes on consumer boards before, but not with scaring warnings...There is also a BIOS setting for the Intel Management Engine, so I presume I should disable that as well?

Edited by CrimsonTyphoon
Update title