Longest server uptime for unRAID

ashman70

Longest unRAID server uptime  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really sure how long on most of my servers but on a N40L/N54L it ran for over a year - my others were less.  The only reason I take the other servers down is to add/replace drives (replace when going with larger drives) or if I need to do maintenance on a VM either before unRAID had VMs with ESXi or now with VMs on unRAID.  For the others longest was probably 6 months.

Edited by BobPhoenix

Installing an unRaid update requires a reboot, which would tend to limit the uptime, particularly recently. In the old days, we could have much longer periods between updates and have longer uptimes. An extremely long uptime means you are missing a lot of updates wish is probably not a good thing! 

My dedicated crashplan backup server that runs unRAID is usually up for quite a while at a time as I do not usually bother updating with every unRAID release.

My main server was up for nearly a year and a half at one point.  I skipped one whole release of unRAID on my main server, mostly because it was a "if it aint broke don't fix it"

I had a v5 server with over a year of uptime ... the only reason that streak ended was a power failure that exceeded the UPS timer I had set, so the system shut down.   I agree, however, that with the much more frequent updates (and much simpler update process) with v6, you really don't want to go over a year without updating, as many of the updates are designed to improve security.

My Last Linux server lasted over 4Years. Could of gone longer, but I had to unplug it and move into our new house. Lol

However with Unraid it does require updates now and then. Both of my machines have been up running for 38 Days and 42 Days. Had to reboot both of them to swap around some Hardware other wise who knows how long they would of been running for.  

Basically the only time my servers are ever shut down or rebooted are (a) extended power outages that last longer than the 10 minutes I have the UPS control software set for (rare);  (b) software updates that require a reboot (the most common reason); or (c) hardware changes (adding/replacing a disk drive -- also fairly rare).

It would be easy to get a year or longer of runtime (been there/done that) ... but it's not something I focus on.   Basically I reboot whenever there's a new stable release  (I have a test server for the pre-releases).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...