Highpoint RocketRAID 640

Hello!

I thought I should share my recent experiences with this controller in unRAID 6.3.5 and summarize to others who might thinking of using this controller with unRAID. And also to reach out for a final solution to the virtualization-problem.

This is my hardware:

Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI

Intel Pentium G4600 3,6GHz

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White DDR4 PC19200/2400MHz CL16 2x8GB

HighPoint RocketRAID 640

3 x WD Red WD40EFRX 64MB 4TB

3 x Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 32MB 2TB

2 x Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9250410AS 16MB 250GB

This is the steps I had to take to make it work (kind of):

1) When I first plugged in this card in my unraid box, the thing wouldn't even boot any more. It freezed right after the the Highpoint RocketRAID BIOS screen. To get around this, I had to flash the controllers BIOS/Firmware to a version which disabled the raid features and simply transformed the controller to a plain sata-controller. This BIOS is refered to as "Non-RAID BIOS" or "Quick BIOS".

I downloaded this BIOS from here: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/rr600_download.htm

2) Then I hade to enable the controller using this custom script:

3) Then it turned out that this controller didn't work with VT-d enabled as described in this thread:

And the provided fix with "iommu=pt" did not work for me. So I had to disable VT-d in my motherboard BIOS.

So current status is that this controller "work", but with VT-d disabled in motherbord BIOS, which basicly means that unraid can not run any virtual machines.

Edited by Knastrumpeten
4 hours ago, Knastrumpeten said:

Thank you, that sounds very promising! Where did you found out this information? Can't find anything about it in the Prerelease Support.

I recompile releases to install DVB drivers.  So it came up that they were missing from a release I did and I spoke to LT.