Problem Issues - Need Some Help

flambot

Greetings,

I have an unusual issue (only partly unraid related) that I need some help with please if someone can offer it :)

I have just built a new desktop computer. It's my first one in 10 years - stepping from XP to Win 10 :(. It's like going from flying a kite to driving the space shuttle!

Anyway, the problem is DVDshrink gets an "Out of Error" message while writing out to my unraid server (see image below). 59b214c3bd79d_DVDSOOMIMage.jpg.9b11567639ea752fa9b68a9d66bada0c.jpg

This is not a HDD storage related issue (there is huge space on my server and my internal drives)

I've tried to figure this out - spent a great deal of time - searched a lot, but there are only a few posts online and they are really old (most prior this 3.2 version). One thing that was mentioned was "Memory Leak" but I know nothing about that.

Anyway, what is happening is that DVDShrink seems to run flat out (there is a little indicator that states the buffer memory on the output panel) and this fills up to about 1300Mb and then it crashes. Writing anywhere else (across my internal drives etc) the buffer seems to regulate (go up and down), but writing out to the unraid server the buffer just keeps growing in size and then fails with this error. I assume the unraid server is not fast enough to keep up??, but this never happened on my XP machine and it was reasonably fast also. I can pause DVDShrink while it's writing out to the server, then start it again, and that way it doesn't fault - but I don't want to have to physically watch all my writes!

Now I can't believe I'm the only one suffering this issue (there are a lot of fast machines out there and I'm certain others use DVDShrink (not to decrypt). I use it for ripping, but mostly for writing from DVD Folder on the HDD out to ISO's on my server. You can open multiple instances of DVDShrink and then use a little program called "MultiShrink" to fire them all off as a batch run. It's worked flawlessly for a decade. Now it fails on my new machine. :(:(:( 

Does anyone know why and if so, how I can fix it and if I can fix it???

Things I have learned... 

There is a small prog. called BES that throttles the CPU. This allows DVDShrink to run without error, but I have to really crank the BES setting down and it is really slow going. I have only tried this with a single instance (not sure if it will work on multiple instance of DVDS.

The above error doesn't happen if I write from a USB HDD dock attached to my new computer (USB can feed DVDShrink enough info fast enough maybe). While I could live with this, I have to keep turning the damn thing on and off and I don't get to use my two internal HDD's that I write between.

I could switch to something else, but I don't know what that would be and if it can batch write easily. DVDS and MuiltiS work perfectly together and oh so easy. Perhaps a cache drive would help in my server, but I write directly to my disk shares and am not sure if that is how it works.

Really appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks.

Edited by flambot
6 hours ago, c3 said:

The googlefu is not strong in this one...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369116-dvd-shrink-out-of-memory-error

Your cache drive idea is reasonable since write performance seems to be the cause, or as suggested in the thread above, hit pause manually, allocate huge memory.

I did find that site, and while it helped a lot, there doesn't appear to be any real conclusions as to there being something that can be done about this.

It is the only real thread I could find about this issue, of which I am somewhat surprised, as I would've thougth more people would be using DVDSrhink, so more people would have this problem. This never happened on my old machine - and DVDshrink would buffer it properly - even though unraid couldn't keep up. So is there something on my new machine causing this?? or is it just too damn fast??

This doesn't happen when I write FROM a USB attached HDD. Obviously, the throughput is limited by USB and Shrink works as it should.

Having to sit there and watch every write then pause it would be painful.

So...

what other software do people use to write DVD Folders to iso that can be batch run?? Shrink and multishrink are just so easy.

Unraid is mostly about media - so you all have to be writing out to unraid with something that is simple to use and can be simply automated??

Thanks for the input.

4 hours ago, c3 said:

The guidance is to use -90% or -95% in BES. What are you using?

I was using -90%. I only trialed it using one instance of DVDS. Not sure in can do many instances, or whether you point it at the exe and it does all instances of that program. Need further testing. Thought I might see what is out there as far as fixes before going down that path.

5 hours ago, Squid said:

I believe most people have transitioned to DVDFab

Hey Squid,

I don't use DVDShrink as a decrypter (haven't for so long I can't remember). I use it because its easy to use for writing to DVD Folder or ISO and most importantly, in reauthor mode it allows me to cut the video at an "I" frame. But more importantly, I can batch write with it using Multishrink.

Edited by flambot
13 hours ago, hernandito said:

Don't really understand much of what you are doing w/ unRAID. Could it be that you run out of ram in your server? You would need to add (brain fart/senior moment here) memswap, virtual memory, swap drive; swap file...can't recall the exact name. Where it uses drive space for virtual memory.

This could be a possiblity - hence why I posted here. I don't know enough about it to figure it out. Can I increase the swap file size on my unraid server (adding more RAM is difficult). Drive space for virtual memory would be okay?? Not convinced it's the server as this never happened on my old machine.

Edited by flambot