Power consumption

mrbilky

300ish at idle running 4 vm's with GPU's, pfense firewall, 90 something gigabytes of ram, 2 processors with 40 threads, some dockers, and a partridge in a pear tree.

My 4k video editor with 4 processors with 80 threads, gpu, 80ish gb of ram, idles in the 550's, max power  at 1000+ watts.

I win. (You were going for highest consumption, right?)

59 minutes ago, 1812 said:

300ish at idle running 4 vm's with GPU's, pfense firewall, 90 something gigabytes of ram, 2 processors with 40 threads, some dockers, and a partridge in a pear tree.

My 4k video editor with 4 processors with 80 threads, gpu, 80ish gb of ram, idles in the 550's, max power  at 1000+ watts.

I win. (You were going for highest consumption, right?)

HaHa that's more than my power supply is rated at! No need to tell the kids to turn the lights out when their done:D

57 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

HaHa that's more than my power supply is rated at! No need to tell the kids to turn the lights out when their done:D

It is a bit. But if I were to have separate computers for everything, it would end up 3-4x more in power consumption.So I don't complain. 

The first server runs dual 1000 watt power supplies. The second one which is hungrier, runs 3 of the same but is only on when used. 

1 hour ago, HellDiverUK said:

Around 25W idle with no disks running, about 50W with all 4 drives running or when transcoding with Plex (the i5 is super-low power).  I could shave a few watts off if I had a different PSU, but I'm running a Corsair RM750 which is the wrong PSU for a low power machine.

Nice yeah I'm running an i7 6700 locked cpu in a prebuilt so looks like mine is pretty frugal on the wattage!

Im doing something wrong then. I JUST built my unraid server off ebay and I'm pulling 209 W at idle. I know most of it is my psu. but i didn't think that much. 

PSU is a 1200W rosewill quark platinum rating, its the only psu i had with dual eps connectors, i bought a y-cable but it wasn't long enough to reach both.
2x x5650s
Tyan s7012 mainboard
6x sticks of ram
lots of fans
1 ssd
5 hdds
a mellanox 10gb card 

17 minutes ago, s_mason16 said:

Im doing something wrong then. I JUST built my unraid server off ebay and I'm pulling 209 W at idle. I know most of it is my psu. but i didn't think that much. 

PSU is a 1200W rosewill quark platinum rating, its the only psu i had with dual eps connectors, i bought a y-cable but it wasn't long enough to reach both.
2x x5650s
Tyan s7012 mainboard
6x sticks of ram
lots of fans
1 ssd
5 hdds
a mellanox 10gb card 

my previous server board with dual x5680 and 2ssd, 10hdd, mellanox too, was about 200w idle (measured by ups usage - 40% of 500w). i'm just replaced it with newer dual E5-2670 and with the same other stuff it idles about 140w (28% of 500w the same ups). so i think, it's ok with your setup. 

The chipset on those boards uses as much power as some more recent CPUs when you count up the northbridge and the southbridge.  

At work the old Poweredge 2950 machines used about 500W idling with 8 disks and two dual core CPUs.  The newest machines we have are Poweredge R515 with dual 6-core Opterons and 10 disks and they idle just over 150W.

Old servers are a false economy - they're hot, noisy and drink power.