Any 1151 7th gen boards with 12 SATA ports?

It's time to swap out my old hardware that's way past my 5 year rule.  I'd like to build around an 1151 motherboard with an i3-7100T or i5-7600T but I can't find a suitable motherboard with more than 10 SATA ports.  I'd like to have 12 ports without adding another controller since the new case will have 12 drive bays.  I can live with adding a controller to get the last 2 ports but I'd rather have them all on the motherboard if possible.

2 hours ago, jtown said:

It's time to swap out my old hardware that's way past my 5 year rule.  I'd like to build around an 1151 motherboard with an i3-7100T or i5-7600T but I can't find a suitable motherboard with more than 10 SATA ports.  I'd like to have 12 ports without adding another controller since the new case will have 12 drive bays.  I can live with adding a controller to get the last 2 ports but I'd rather have them all on the motherboard if possible.

i would recommend Supermicro. https://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1151 

you can get one with SAS card builtin, but i'm not sure about cross-flashing to IT mode.

what is your server main purpose? just pure NAS or some Dockers/VMs too? 

27 minutes ago, uldise said:

i would recommend Supermicro. https://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1151 

you can get one with SAS card builtin, but i'm not sure about cross-flashing to IT mode.

what is your server main purpose? just pure NAS or some Dockers/VMs too? 

Right now, I'm just doing NAS but part of my upgrade will include adding a Plex docker and a couple low-demand VMs.  That's part of phasing out other old equipment.  I'm looking at the ASRock Z270 Taichi with an i5-7600T.  That should give me more power than I need at a low TDP with the option of going way up on power if I decide to do more VM stuff...or steal it for a new gaming rig.

1 hour ago, HellDiverUK said:

I have been running ASRock server MBs for past several years. And recently "upgraded" (not really as upgrade, but similar board with an extra few lanes) and would say I've had a very good experience. I even contacted tech support once and received prompt attention to a technical question. Before that I used a SuperMicro board and also had a good experience. But SuperMicro did not make a board that ha've.all the features I needed for my current build, and I considered the ASRock a better fit for me.

I monitor these forums pretty closely and do not recall seeing problems with ASRock boards. In fact problems with motherboards of any manufacture are rare. I would not hesitate to buy one after doing my homework.

1 hour ago, HellDiverUK said:

Friends don't let friends buy AsRock.  Search this forum and see how many random problems or dead boards are AsRock.

Maybe I've missed them. Please post links to some of these threads leading you to make such a systemic statement about ASRock. If it's one of a very few vendors that make server motherboards and I believe users need more than a quip to dismiss them from consideratIon.

Don't worry.  I don't pay attention to "friends don't let friends buy <brand>" stuff.  If I did, I wouldn't be able to buy any hard drive brand, motherboard brand, CPU brand, memory brand, video card brand, car brand, beer brand, etc.  I have an ASRock X79 Extreme11 in one of my computers.  That thing's a beast!

1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

Maybe I've missed them. Please post links to some of these threads leading you to make such a systemic statement about ASRock. If it's one of a very few vendors that make server motherboards and I believe users need more than a quip to dismiss them from consideratIon.

Two USB problems, one fan control issue, one busted CPU socket problem, all in the first two pages of a search "AsRock" on this forum.

Oh, and I've had four different AsRock boards (and not cheap ones either) that have either been DOA or failed early.  One was a workstation board that flamed out first time I turned it on, one a server board that rebooted and never came back, and the other was a server board that didn't have working NICs out of the box. Finally, the miniITX FM2+ board that ran it's VRM at 100C with a basic A6 APU until it died.  That was with the stock cooler that cools the VRM, or at least tried to.  Yet all my Asus and Gigabyte boards are fine, and run no problems.

Edit: Another one, AsRock Rack with instability...

Edited by HellDiverUK
Added more links as I see them...
  • 3 weeks later...