Project AMD

Hello Everyone.

%%% Spoiler alert Long .  Log Journey %%%

I am in a rut. 

I have gone through 2 PC systems and 3 OS now trying to get GPU passthrough to work!!!

All I want is 1 machine that stays on day and night as my plex (Via Docker or on a VM) server, but it also has to have a VM as a CAD machine, and VM for gaming if I want to. Needs to have 2 GPUs and 2 monitors.

When I start the machine I want both machines to autostart with at least 1 VM using the local keyboard and mouse.

First I used Freenas 11 which introduced me to dockers, then I heard of Unraid which had dockers and full virtualisation, then I seen the "2 gamers 1 rig video and learned about pass through.

I tried things to get the passthrough working: enabling virtualisation in bios, finding out my Dell T20 with Pentium chip didnt do VT-D so sold it and got a ASUS MS A97 R2 with AMD FX8350.

VT-D turns on there so had Iommu light up in the settings. Screaming thinking "yeaaaaaaaaaah boy its on!!!! 2 VMS 1 machine, 2 monitors". I create 2 windows 10 VMS, make sure they boot up fine, assign a graphics card to it (AMD Radeon HD 5450) whole system crashes. 

Try again with 3 other graphics cards.....same thing, rip the whole thing out and try with VMware ESXI 6.5......works first time every-time but i cannot assign keyboard and mouse to it, I have to use synergy or teamviewer but this defeats the point as I need my laptop just to talk to it.

Please help, All I want is the GPU pass through to work as I assume keyboard and mouse does already and I can get building. I watch so many videos but nothing works.

Speaking about building I want to build a new system with either a Ryzen 1700 or I7 7700k, any ideas which would suit me?

I know the Ryzen is only 65W TDP and 16 threads so it should suit this but I hear about problems with Unraid?

Edited by Jurrel23