Is this damaged board functional?

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.  Must say, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge for my data hoarding tendencies...

I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not you think this board is functional.  It has some damage to one corner of the board, otherwise it looks to be new.  I know no more details about this other than it's a pretty good deal if it works.  Thoughts?  Worth the risk?

Looking to get on the E5-2670 bandwagon. :)

Inkedboard(1).jpg

board(2).jpg

board(3).jpg

board(4).jpg

If I owned i, I'd certainly try it out. Just looking at the damage, I'd guess it would work, except maybe that audio function.

But a decision to buy would be based on price and reason person is unwilling to test the board. If he has high feedback score, and is offering at low price where you'd feel you won the lottery if it worked, and wouldn't feel like a moron if it didn't, you might give it a try.

1 hour ago, bjp999 said:

reason person is unwilling to test the board.

This. I can't really think of a circumstance where a board that worked with this damage would be sold.

Why sell it if it works? If the person won't guarantee that it boots and runs fine despite appearances, chances are it is dead, and they know it. They're hoping someone like you is naive enough to pay for their mistake or junk.

8 hours ago, jonathanm said:

This. I can't really think of a circumstance where a board that worked with this damage would be sold.

Why sell it if it works? If the person won't guarantee that it boots and runs fine despite appearances, chances are it is dead, and they know it. They're hoping someone like you is naive enough to pay for their mistake or junk.

I think this is true. Just looking for second (third, fourth, etc.) opinions.

It seems that the seller tests some board and not others, but has 99.8% feedback, so...

So, you're looking to buy a car.  You look on your local car sales website.  There's loads of cars on there, and one is listed as crash damaged.  There's a picture of the car sitting in a yard with the wheel hanging off and the front all smashed in.  It's cheap, but the seller couldn't be bothered starting it up and seeing if it drives.  Do you buy it?

I don't know. You have a seller with strong reputation. He had been extremely upfront about the damage. Possible he does not own a compatible CPU to test with. Even known defective MBs are sold in this price range on eBay. This is certainly a risk, but it is the OP's decision.

Not like this things costs a fortune. Cost of 1 nice dinner for 2. Or maybe a run at the craps table.

If it pans out, you feel awesome. If it doesn't, you're out a few bucks. If you pass, you'll never know.

If it was a car with a wheel hanging, I'd pass. This is not that situation IMO.

The big question is - do you feel lucky! And how much would you really save yourself if it is good. Because if you could buy something that is known to function for not a whole lot more, it'd be silly. But if it is $75 vs $500, I don't know, I think I might have to call the bet and see the cards.

Whatever you decide, make it your decision! 

Good luck! 

It would suck to have the board wipe out something plugged into it. Not saying it will happen with this board since the damage is physically distant from the power section, but I've seen boards kill other components. Keep in mind that the power supply for the CPU and RAM is actually ON the motherboard, the PSU doesn't output 1.x volts, it puts out 3.3, +/-5, and +/-12. The motherboard regulates the voltage to the CPU and RAM.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.  I think I'll pass on this one.  I'd love to have this board, and it might be worth the risk, but I think I'll wait for another opportunity.  No real concrete reason for my decision, just a combination of things including available cash and gut feel!

Does it work?  I'll never know...O.o

Edited by mikehunt114