CrashPlan Home Ending

Smackover

13 minutes ago, Loch said:

@StevenD So if you had 3 people backing up to your server, you could run 1 Minio with a bucket for each client. I guess they would all share a passphrase and normally all be viewable by each other except Duplicati is encrypting each person's bucket anyway. 

Glad to see it's working. How are speeds? 

Yes, it should work just like that.  I will test it out later.

i have only tested it with a VM on a vlan with only internet access, so I cantvreally tell yet.  My mom backs up about 30GB to my CrashPlan. I will remote into her laptop this week and set Duplicati up to see how it goes. 

I got it to work :D

But I dont see the pont of this comparing to just point Duplicati to a share or FTP, beside the fact that its most likely more secure to use Minio to share with remote users and not using VPN between client and server.

But I would like to know how to setup SSL on the docker.

Also looks like Minio webgui is missing some features, like deleting buckets, but that is not the dockers fault.

I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade to the Crashplan Pro option, I only have 1 device so it was still way cheaper than anywhere else. 

I fully expected to have to re-upload my 17TB but the whole lot migrated over, so I think the 5TB limit isn't totally rigid. Other users have confirmed this happened for them too. I've also checked with Crashplan support that it wasn't just a display error or something, and they have confirmed it's all migrated across.

SR

On 8/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, bdillahu said:

Is there a good way to do a _versioned_ backup from Unraid to another Unraid system across the net?

Could put a box at my parent's house, but I'm looking for versioned backups, not a clone. Kind of similar to how I use Unraid instead of normal RAID since I have weird/different desires, my offsite backups should be backups, not replication in my opinion.

Other thing to replace it would be a good PC/Mac client to point to Unraid. There are lots out there, but anybody have a favorite?

I'm probably missing the obvious, sorry.

I use a setup with "SyncThing" (https://syncthing.net) to backup folders on my PC to a folder on my UnRaid.

There are custom clients for windows (synctrazor) or osx (don't remember) that provide better OS level support.  Currently I backup several Terabyte this way.  Inital sync may be slow.  Also if accessable, backups can happen over the internet too.

--Wes

Crashplan Small Business is too expensive and its suggested replacement, Carbonite, doesn't have Linux client nor does it support network drive backup in it's basic edition. So, I was thinking Duplicati with Carbonite via WebDAV. Would cost me $25 first year and $50 thereafter for unlimited backup. Thoughts?

Edited by izarkhin
On 9/7/2017 at 3:18 PM, uldise said:

That's not true. there are various solutions with various features. i use  nextcloud, and it supports file versioning.. for me, a missing feature with nextcloud is scheduled backups..

File versioning is nice, but won"t help you restore deleted files for instance. And if you add that and scheduling... well that's called backup software, not syncing anymore.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:17 AM, Loch said:

For those interested in the peer-to-peer backup ability of Crashplan, this seems interesting: http://blog.quindorian.org/2017/08/diy-cloud-backup-replacing-crashplan-home-family-diy-style.html/   Uses Duplicati as a client and Minio as an S3 server. It looks like there is a Minio docker for unRaid here: https://hub.docker.com/r/topdockercat/minio-unraid/

But this will only solve the problem of backing up from several machines to unRAID. You would still need a solution to back up unRAID to cloud, wouldn't you? What would you use for that? So, my thought was to create a Carbonite account and backup to it using Duplicati docker on unRAID. My understanding is that Carbonite currently offers Personal Backup to previous CrashPlan users for $30/yr for the first year ($60/yr thereafter). It allows unlimited backup for 1 machine. The question is, can Duplicati access Carbonite using webDAV or some other interface. Has anyone tried it?

Edited by izarkhin

I have installed Minio S3 server on my unraid and I have tried Duplicati, but it is very very slow.

I found another S3 client, CloudBerry to be much faster (its not a free program if you want client side encryption), it supports a lot of cloud services too, but only buisnies versions that is too expencive for me :(

It is a neat program, there is an docker for it too.

Hi!

I already apply the 3-2-1 rule of backups but I feel insecure!

1) Unraid

2) Unmounted disk in same server and syncing manually with unassigned devices

3) synology offsite usually turned off and synced once per month

Is it crazy to use another off-site backup?

I mean online from some provider.

It's 14 years of personal photos/videos which I value a lot.

Also, I am not sure If I would like the ability to browse the photos online. I already have nextcloud docker but I have low upload 1Mbps and it's not really convenient .

I have looked into jottacloud and backblaze B2 (I know it's two different things!).

What are you using?

(Sorry to hijack but I think it's relevant. If not please move or I will open new thread)

@karateo Hello :)

Offcause not, you can never have too many backups as long as you can afford it :)

Im looking at an cloud storage too, to use as cold storage.

If you are going to backup from an windows machine, you can go for any solution you like, like jotta, backblaze B2 or backblaze home.

If you are going to backup from the Unraid server, your options of clients are less, jotta does not have any Linux clients as I know of.

Im looking at B2 too, as cloudberry works with it, and there is an cloudberry docker.

I find the pricing of B2 to be more understandable too, compared to Amazon S3/glacier.

myself I have not decided yet if I should go for the home edtion of anyone and use another client or use a service like B2 and do everything from the same client.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the interesting perspectives on this topic! I, too, am looking for a Crashplan replacement.  Based on what I've read here, Duplicati appeared to be a suitable vehicle for backing up my data to a remote storage location (the docker is super easy to set up and schedule).

Hunting around for a storage offer (I need a minimum of 300 Gigs for family photos and movies), it looks like my best deal is around $10/month for 1TB of storage.  Dropbox and Google Drive are looking like my decent bets, but then I checked out MS OneDrive and see they have an Office365 Home subscription for 5 users and 1TB storage each for $99/year.

Am I missing something, or is this looking like a great deal? Good storage option with free Office365.

Thanks,

-A

Rumor has it that if you purchase the Pixel 2 that you also will receive 5 years if unlimited Google Drive. There may be some limitations if it but nothing is known besides the rumor of 5 years of unlimited storage for Drive. We'll know more shortly.

Edited by LimeB
  • 1 month later...

I have around 5TB to re-home. Reading this thread it looks like G-Suite seems to be the best option if they are allowing single users to blow past the non-team limit. Is anyone doing this already?

Duplicati looks like the best docker solution, is anyone already using this with a large amount of data? Can you share your experiences?

• 1 month later...

Dear gentleladies and gentlemen,

Currently, I would very much like to organize back-ups from one unRAID server to another unRAID server that are connected over the internet i.e. are not on the same LAN. Does anyone have suggestions for safe (encrypted), suitable (unRAID and/or windows, OSX and Linux compatible) and easy to use backup system (without too much command lines or software layers)?

So far I found two potential solutions:

A. Evault system and software which nicely back-ups systems from a client (can be more than one) to a 'Vault'. That fault runs on windows server 2012 for example which we can run on unRAID as a VM. So far I would like this solution as it is highly configurable (regarding backup frequency, database and/or file selection and type of backup selection), good technical support it seems (as I got webinar explaining the whole software) and security to my knowledge seems more than decent looking at their encryption and file processing strategies (two levels of encryption). However my issues seem to be so far that again I would be constrained to use windows server, something I would like to avoid because I much rather invest open source solutions and second the costs for licenses are rather high something I find possible to justify if nothing else comes close. Those are investments after all that could not be used in improving directly healthcare for patients in this particular case. As I work for multiple companies I might make the suggestion to change strategies for all of them as unRAID proves a success also supporting adequate backup system. The presentation of their webinar can be found here below.

https://nehgroup.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVault

B. Duplicati system is open source and seems lower in cost so theoretically a good solution relative to cloud-based backup systems of Carbonite, Crahplan and software package of Evault. What I do like is the OS compatibility, the same two levels of encryption (SSL/TSL connection + file encryption, to which we might add the VPN connection of openVPN, which I did not try yet. The UI seems also relatively decent. However, as I need to transfer files over with FTP or SSH or some other protocol three questions remain 1. which protocol is most stable, secure and userfriendly? 2. Could unRAID securely be connected to the WWW? 2. What adjustments need to be made to unRAID settings and/or software to make back-ups possible with Duplicati?

An additional issue seems that in an emergency I would have no one to help me out with Duplicati, which with unRAID or Evault I might not have. Though it should be mentioned that several threats on the Duplicati's form were posted with unRAID related topics: https://forum.duplicati.com/t/unraid-owncloud-webdav-error-connecting-cant-connect-ssl/438

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicati

https://www.duplicati.com

Kindly I would like to ask if someone supports these finding, has answers or further questions that need to be asked and last if other software solutions are available?

EVault Overview New Presentation -Customer Presentation Excedo V1.pptx

• 2 weeks later...

This might not be the most simple solution. For an onsite backup solution i will be using Beyond Compare in a vm to copy my shares to a backup server. Cron the process and once a day or once a week you can Sync all the data on your shares to match. I have an offsite/offgrid backup as well but that is manually done. I would be curious if you could setup an OpenVPN tunnel between your offsite backup location and still use Beyond Compare to sync as it would look like you are still within the given home network. This in all reality would not be a cloud solution as you would either have to rent server space somewhere else or have to own a server offsite. Just a couple of thoughts.

A home-grown variant I have been using to access other machines without using VPN is to give my Windows laptop a couple of virtual network interfaces.

Then I have run putty and requested that putty capture access to a number of ports (like 445 for CIFS) for these virtual interfaces and tunnels the accesses to my firewall at home and from there to the actual machines.

So when sitting at a hotel room, I can specify \\192.168.0.10\movies\ and the laptop will think 192.168.0.10 is a local machine and access the share just as if I had been at home.

Of course I update the hosts file so I don't need to use IP numbers.

Has anyone found a good solution for off-site personal (computer to computer) backups?  I have a server in Denver, I live in New Mexico, and would like to backup my New Mexico server to my Denver server.  I think Duplicati allows backups to FTP, but I don't now how to set up FTP (yet).  Can you use Duplicati to backup to Owncloud?  Can Owncloud act as any kind of remote backup destination?  It's not very expensive if I go the B2 route, but I would prefer to have my own personal cloud backup server.