(Solved) Upgrading Cache to SSD. Question about directories (mnt/cache vs mnt/user)

I have read the wiki about upgrading the cache drive. and I have a good idea on getting it done.

I am after a bit more clarification.

I use the mnt/cache directory for my Apps folders. And at the moment my Apps Share is 'Use Cache disk: only'

Question is; is using the 'cache prefer' method going to keep the same directories safe. I want to keep the mnt/cache options as I don't want to break my docker mappings.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 minutes ago, BillClinton said:

I have read the wiki about upgrading the cache drive. and I have a good idea on getting it done.

I am after a bit more clarification.

I use the mnt/cache directory for my Apps folders. And at the moment my Apps Share is 'Use Cache disk: only'

Question is; is using the 'cache prefer' method going to keep the same directories safe. I want to keep the mnt/cache options as I don't want to break my docker mappings.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Main difference for your appdata share when using Cache Disk Only / Prefer is that when on Only, if say your cache drive fills up due to downloads, etc then any write to the appdata share by one of your apps will fail due to out of space.  If set to Prefer under those circumstances the write will not fail (the file will get written to the array instead).  Once space frees up, then the mover will put the file back onto the cache drive where it belongs

Only caveat is that all of your /config references have to be similar to /mnt/user/appdata/... for that to work.  If they are /mnt/cache/appdata, then it won't work.  (And a few users for some reason need to have /mnt/cache/appdata for their applications to work properly)

Just now, BillClinton said:

Or a I going to have to manually copy my app files to the array first?

This.  But a simple copy won't work due to permissions / symlinks / hardlinks etc

Back the appdata up using CA Appdata Backup / Restore, set up the replacement cache drive, then restore the backup.

• BillClinton changed the title to (Solved) Upgrading Cache to SSD. Question about directories (mnt/cache vs mnt/user)