First Build Advice

Greetings Unraid Gurus!

First post and new unraid user (actually soon to be)

I need some advice for motherboard and memory to go with a Intel Xeon Processor E5-2683 v3 OEM.

I plan to run plex and a vm or 2.

Was looking at the ASRock X99 Taichi.  Anyone have thoughts on that CPU MB combo?  If so maybe a memory suggestion also?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same CPU - check my signature.  Love it and I haven't managed to stress it yet, despite running 4 VMs, Plex streams, unifi controller, mineos, sabnzbd,deluge, multiple TV tuners recording etc all concurrently

Good mobo.  What kind of VMs are you going to run?  It's a bit light on rear usb ports and you do know you can't use the WiFi with unraid?

Re memory, check out pcpartfinder for parts eg memory.  I started out with 4x8GB and then doubled up - I wish I'd gone 2x16GB as I've exhausted my upgrade path.  Worth considering when you buy your ram.

Edited by DZMM

Thanks for the reply, very nice build indeed!

I am leaning more to the X99 Taichi but i have also always been partial to ASUS MBs over the years. 

One thing that i do like about the ASrock are the dual Intel GB Nics, the 10 SATA ports.  I also see it supports DDR4 ECC un-buffered memory if using Xeon E5 series.  Would this MB be a better choice based on the ECC support? Also what does it mean when it says RDIMM?

Nice tip on the memory path for future upgrading.

So many decisions for my first unraid build. 

Thanks 

A lot of people on this forum wouldn't buy anything other than ECC ram.  It's a personal choice as to whether you really need it.

RDIMM is registered memory.

The Asus is a nice mobo and I have no complaints, but I've lost 2 of my rear usbs as the 3.1 controller doesn't work when the 2.0 slot runs at x4 - trivial.

What do you plan to do with the dual nics?

• 1 month later...