Windows Storage Spaces Features

As someone recently and now fully committed to Unraid and still generally aware of what other options exist (most of the time), I was reading into WSS in WS12 and looked at some of the new featured and wondered if they had ever been considered for the Unraid roadmap:

Feature/functionality

New or updated?

Description

Storage tiers

New

Automatically moves frequently accessed data to faster (solid-state drive) storage and infrequently accessed data to slower (hard disk) storage.

Write-back cache

New

Buffers small random writes to solid-state drives, reducing the latency of writes.

Parity space support for failover clusters

New

Enables you to create parity spaces on failover clusters.

Dual parity

New

Stores two copies of the parity information on a parity space, which helps protect you from two simultaneous physical disk failures and optimizes storage efficiency.

Automatically rebuild storage spaces from storage pool free space

New

Decreases how long it takes to rebuild a storage space after a physical disk failure by using spare capacity in the pool instead of a single hot spare

Just wondering of thoughts. Personally the last item (pool space rebuild) and storage tiers based on data usage sound extremely enticing. I have (albeit manual) cache only setup for my faster needs, dual parity is already done (and is amazing). Just thinking about automating some of the data manipulation for speed and safety got me thinking...

Thoughts?

Original webpage: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn387076(v=ws.11).aspx

Edited by kreene1987