Migrating off ESXI

Hi

Been running unRaid under ESXI for a long time but recently decided i need something my wife / kids have a chance of actually looking after if im not around. Its been rock solid but want to simplify.

My understanding is i simply need to rebuild my machine using the usb that currently has unraid on and ensure when i start unRaid that drives are correctly allocated. Anything else i need to worry about?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Optimist
typo
On 8/15/2017 at 3:47 PM, bjp999 said:

I would think if you boot off the USB that was booting unRaid in the VM, it would just work.

I did this recently (well, not too recently) and it worked perfectly.

Only issue I could imagine is if you were booting off of a disk image and not updating the flash drive when updating unRAID.

Of course, any esxi VMs will be no more and you're need to figure out how to migrate those.  I just started over from scratch so I can't help there.

Just to close the thread out for anyone in the future.

As easy as expected

1. Take a screenshot of your drive assignment 

2. Stop array

3. Powerdown the server

4. Remove the ESXI usb drive

5. Reboot the server

6. Check drive assignment is correct before starting the array

Only issue i had on reboot was intel nic not being recognised. Switched to onboard nic. Sure there is a solution which ill get to in due course