disk smart report>should this disk be used as parity?

luca2

Hi again, I am in the process of preclearing this disk now.

I am also preclearing now all of the disks since they come from many external disks I used years ago. I attach one of the others´s disk preclear report. It has the same reallocated sectors after preclear than it had before. I guess it is ok, right?

Rgds.

preclear_report_6VP06PST_2017.08.15_21.59.51.txt

preclear_report_S1XHJ9BSB00812_2017.08.15_22.53.07.txt

Edited by luca2
Added the preclear report of another 1tb disk. It shows an increase in "187-Reported_Uncorrect" .. something to worry about?"
1 hour ago, luca2 said:

It has the same reallocated sectors after preclear than it had before. I guess it is ok, right?

In my opinion, it might be just barely OK?  That is a lot of reallocated sections for a disk with only 6500 hours on it.  If you are really intent on using it, I would run at least two more preclear cycles on it.  I would also select all of the parameters which would increase the time to run the tests.  (You really want to give that disk every opportunity to fail BEFORE you put it into any array and load it up with data!  And I would consider it to be a trash bin candidate if that count were to increase by even 1 sector.)

Edited by Frank1940
"Just barely" was "only"

If you get reallocated sectors, I'd preclear it again. Skip the preread if you want. My experience is that reallocated sectors that occur after burn in (~1000 power on hours) is usually a bad sign. Sometimes the young ones will stabilize. If it runs two cycles and the numbers don't get worse, I'd give it a try.

So I did 2 more preclear cycles and disks did not present any additional reallocated sectors. I will give them a try.

On the other hand, I get on my parity drive this "Disk parity has an HPA partition enabled on it". I started reading but ended in several post discussing the issue several years ago.

I found this: From what we've seen recently, removing the HPA is just a matter of running one hdparm command.
Step 1. determine the correct full size of the drive (it is found in the syslog)
Step 2. run the hdparm -N pXXXXXXXXXXX /dev/XYZ command for your drive
Step 3. verify the HPA was removed.

From what we've seen recently, removing the HPA is just a matter of running one hdparm command.
Step 1. determine the correct full size of the drive (it is found in the syslog)
Step 2. run the hdparm -N pXXXXXXXXXXX /dev/XYZ command for your drive
Step 3. verify the HPA was removed.

My actual disk info:

root@TowerPAPA:~# v /dev/disk/by-id
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Aug 16 21:33 ata-ST2000DM001-1ER164_W4Z0Q90X -> ../../sde
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Aug 16 21:33 ata-ST2000DM001-1ER164_W4Z0Q90X-part1 -> ../../sde1

root@TowerPAPA:~# hdparm -N /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
 max sectors   = 3907027055/3907029168, HPA is enabled

Can anyone let me know how to proceed to remove HPA?

17 minutes ago, luca2 said:

Can anyone let me know how to proceed to remove HPA?

This problem doesn't crop very often any more. (Gigabyte finally defaulted the option which created it to 'off'.)  As I recall, you only need to remove the HPA partition if you are going to use that drive as the parity drive.  (The parity drive must be the largest drive on the array and that little partition will guarantee that it is not.)  If I have the numbers correct for the data you posted, you are only losing about 1MB of storage from the drive due to that partition being there. 

It´s funny since this disk is 2TB, and the other 3 only 1TB each. So It should have plenty of space.

Anyway I tried this and it worked:

root@TowerPAPA:~# hdparm -N /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
 max sectors   = 3907027055/3907029168, HPA is enabled
root@TowerPAPA:~# hdparm -N p3907029168 /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
 setting max visible sectors to 3907029168 (permanent)
 max sectors   = 3907029168/3907029168, HPA is disabled

Thx for support.

2 hours ago, luca2 said:

It´s funny since this disk is 2TB, and the other 3 only 1TB each. So It should have plenty of space.

I believe (now that I think more about it) that this situation (have a HPA partition on a parity disk) created enough problems that the developers of unRAID simply decided not to allow it to be assigned as parity if it has the HPA partition on it.