[SOLVED] Parity disk marked as new after data disk crash

Hi,

I'm, Running Unraid 4.7

Array 2 datadisk 1 parity disk

I had to power down my server, and on reboot a disk went on error. The system was unable to mount the disk even outside the arrray, reiserfsck failed with a bad sector 2 message.

So I replaced the disk and i did a mistake... i replaced my parity disk instead of the faulty one. The array did not want ot start saying " Too many wrong and/or missing disks! " so I plugged the parity disk back and replaced the faulty disk.

The array woudn't start on reboot, on the main page i see :

blue-on.gifparity WDC_WD20EZRX-00D_WD-WMC1T0726512 31°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -
green-on.gifdisk1 SAMSUNG_HD103UJ_S1PVJ1KQ604460 24°C 976,762,552 - - - -
red-on.gifdisk2 WDC_WD20EFRX-68E_WD-WCC4M5YEE8ZX
ST3250820AS_6QE0EKDT
31°C 1,953,514,552
- - - -

disk2 is correctly marked as replaced (250Go replaced with a 2To), but my parity disk is marked as new and shouldn't.

I'm now a litle lost, what can I do from here ?

Note the syslog is from the last boot, not the original crash.

smart_report_parity_disk.txt

syslog-2017-08-14.txt

Edited by StuFF

This topic

Covers a similar (not identical) situation. I think the recovery method is similar, but 4.7 is so many years ago not many people have clear memories of what works and what doesn't. I recommend taking search terms from that recovery method and try to find other similar posts on the forum, lacking that maybe emailing limetech directly.

In any case, don't blindly try stuff, make sure you have a clear action plan before taking any steps.

Do you have backups? Is the data valuable? This may be a good time to think through your backup strategy.

Thanks a lots I will take a look to the topic, it seems promising.

I have backup of important data, still i will try a restore because my backup are a litle old and are missing the most recent photos :(

So I guess as soon as my server is up again ill work on a good backup plan.

Lesson learned.

I would also recommend researching whether your current hardware can run the latest version of unraid successfully, as staying so many versions behind has seriously hampered recoverability just based on knowledge, as well as enhanced features available in newer versions.

If your hardware was cutting edge high power for 4.7, it may be acceptable for 6.X, but I would research your specific CPU, and also see if you have enough RAM to be happy with 6. The requirements have increased a little since 4.7

Yeah !

It took me some days to have enought time and get it done but I managedd to rebuild the missing disk.

Based on the solution you given by Joe L and CiXeL in the topic you pointed what I did was

1/ Reconnect the faulty disk

2/ reassign my parity disk to its slot

3/ Unraid found my parity disk correct again O.o !

4/ stop the system and change the faulty disk with a new one

5/ rebuild the data from parity

I planed to use the procedure described by CiXeL in the topic but when Unraid "magicaly" found my parity correct again i changed my plan.

Honestly I don't realy undersand what went on between steps 2 and 3 but it worked for me.

so next steps see if I can upgrade my server to unraid 6 I'm only low on memory, and rethink my backup strategy.

I'll create other topic in case of problems.

Thank a lot !