[SOLVED] Server wont boot if SATA ports are populated.

MowMdown

Edit: Seems the ASM1061 chip only supports HDDs.

I just finished putting together a new server for unRAID.

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting unRAID to boot when I populate the SATA ports that aren't the Intel PCH slots.

Supermicro X10SAE Motherboard is the board I am using. It has 8x 6GB/s Sata III Ports (6 on the Intel PCH and 2 on a different controller)

Any idea why unRAID refuses to boot when the non-intel sata ports are populated? The ports are enabled in the BIOS because unRAID detects the drives/DVD-ROM Drive and then just hangs)

Edited by MowMdown
7 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Does it not boot at all or hang part way through? If it hangs, try disconnecting the DVD, as not very many people have optical drives connected to their server.

1) I can get it to boot using the Intel PCH SATA ports no problem. Currently this is how it's set up.

2) Using the secondary SATA ports supported by the other chipset, the boot process hangs trying to detect the optical disc drive. 

The problem is I want to be able to use the 2 secondary SATA ports for more storage later on and I'm afraid they are supported by unRAID. Essentially leaving me without 2 SATA ports.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use them because 6 isn't enough for my future needs.

2 hours ago, MowMdown said:

Any idea why unRAID refuses to boot when the non-intel sata ports are populated? The ports are enabled in the BIOS because unRAID detects the drives/DVD-ROM Drive and then just hangs)

The ASM1061 should be supported AFAIK.  Check the boot order when you have drives connected to them.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Squid said:

The ASM1061 should be supported AFAIK.  Check the boot order when you have drives connected to them.

I know my boot order, in the bios, is USB>Optical Drive>HDDs

Ill see if I change this order if it makes a difference.

Edited by MowMdown
25 minutes ago, MowMdown said:

Using the secondary SATA ports supported by the other chipset, the boot process hangs trying to detect the optical disc drive. 

don't connect your optical drive to second Controller. i read about something similar somewhere with X9 generation..

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...