New build randomly restarting? [Solved]

MacGeekPaul

Hi all,

I've completed my new unRAID build for a NAS/Gaming rig combined.

However I seem to have a weird situation where the machine is just restarting randomly, and I can't seem to pinpoint what could be causing it.

It had been running for almost a week flawlessly but just as a media server, I hadn't started any VM gaming, as soon as I moved the machine into it's final position (behind the TV) and started to use

it fully as intended it just restarted, then approx every 30 minutes it repeated it again. I thought it might be overheating but the temps were all standard, it has good airflow both with intake and exhaust,

I've taken the side of the case off and it still does it.

It has a GTX 1070 GPU installed and I thought it might be the PSU when that kicks in during a VM session, but it's done it while running the unRAID memtest?

I have 10x 3.5" HDD & 2x 2.5" SSD, a PCIe SAS card and PCIe USB card and the GTX 1070, the PSU is a EVGA SuperNova G2 550W, the case is a Define R5 brand new, so no dust issues anywhere.

I'm still thinking it might be the PSU, but according to the PSU calculator on their website it should be fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Paul.

Edited by MacGeekPaul
Title change

Overheating, bad memory, bad PSU, and motherboard failing come to mind.

44 minutes ago, MacGeekPaul said:

It has a GTX 1070 GPU installed and I thought it might be the PSU when that kicks in during a VM session, but it's done it while running the unRAID memtest?

Is this a question - or are you saying it failed during the memory test?

I'd be questioning the memory. Check the BIOS and make sure you are not running the memory above the rated speed.

If memory speed is ok, might try removing all but one of the memory modules and rerunning the memory test. If that works, try the other one. Might give more clues. If one fails and the other doesn't, you'd have your answer. If both work, memory can be persnickety. You need identical modules. Could be memory not matched.

Anything is possible, but PSU is not really being pushed during a memory test. Would tend to doubt it as the problem.

Just thought I'd update my original post.

I followed the various pieces of advice mentioned above (thanks for that @bjp999 & @1812), all resulted in the same result.

I decided to take the plunge and change out the PSU for a larger one (750W EVGA) and bingo, all sorted, it's now been running 24/7 since I swapped it out with plenty of gaming in that time, and it's purring along nicely. Seems like the 550W must have just been right on the wire of how much juice was being pulled and caused it to shut off.

Might be handy info for others in the same situation.

• Upvote 1