Unraid Build mATX / ATX / Server Rack Help?

JoNBoYuK

Couple of Build ideas I have going round my head to replace the HP Proliant N54L G5 - ( Xpenology ), which is a great little machine but every couple years I like to upgrade, so this is what I am thinking -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Build - 1

• Case - Node 804 = £92.99
  • Motherboard - Asus Prime B250M-K Intel B250 = £64.92
  • CPU - Intel Pentium Core G4600 = £80.99

Pass Mark - 5426 - 3.6ghz - 51 TDP

• Ram - Corsair Vengeance Vengeance LPX 2400mhz 2 x 4 GB = £68.99
  • PSU - Corsair VS Series 350W = £32.96

Total = £340.85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD Build - 1

• Motherboard - Gigabyte AMD AM4 Ryzen AB350M = £79.47
  • CPU - Ryzen 3 1200 = £98.48

Pass Mark - 7044 - 3.1ghz - 65 TDP

• GPU - Asus GeForce G210 1GB DDR3  = £26.99

Total = £402.88

AMD Build - 2

• Motherboard - Gigabyte AMD AM4 Ryzen AB350M = £79.47
  • CPU - Ryzen 3 1300X = £124.99

Pass Mark - 8109 - 3.7ghz - 65 TDP

• GPU - Asus GeForce G210 1GB DDR 3 = 26.99

Total = £429.39

I feel the power supply should be powerful enough CPU 65W - HDD - 10W x 6 = 60W - RAM 10W - GPU 75W= 210W so lets call it 250W to be safe more than enough when you take into account a fan or two, unless i am missing something?

This will be purely a / Unraid NAS / Plex / Sonaar / Radaar / and that is about it I am going to get a second server for playing around in Unraid VM, as i was writing this i realised the AMD options required discreet graphics which in turn has made me lean towards Intel now but with Plex soon support GPU for trans-coding maybe there is a good reason to have discreet graphics now, although the G4600 has Quick Sync.

All my media is current Direct Play to my 55" Samsung TV so very little need for trans-coding but id rather have the ability to trans-code, as Franz Kafka once said "Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have"

Anyway i digress something else I have looked into is Building into a Rack-mounted Case for example - SC-2305-ATX or SC-2306B-550B from ( www.servercase.co.uk ) now i did try to find a 9+ SATA port motherboard for about an extra £50 but couldn't find one so i would just get a SAS HBA Card with Breakout cables if i need more drives in the future as one of the cases above has the option to have 9 Hot Swap Bays currently both have 6.

I feel like hot-swap is a feature I really want but can live without it if needed.

Intel Build - 2

• Case - SC-2305-ATX = £113.99
  • Motherboard - Asus Intel Prime B250-PLUS = £74.99
  • CPU - Intel Pentium Core G4600 = £80.99

Pass Mark - 5426 - 3.6ghz - 51 TDP

Total = £386.32

AMD Build - 3

• Case - SC-230-B-550B = £128.39
  • Motherboard -  Asus AMD Prime B350-PLUS AM4 = £84.47
  • CPU - Ryzen 3 1300X = £124.99

Pass Mark - 8109 - 3.7ghz - 65 TDP

• GPU - Asus GeForce G210 1GB DDR 3 = 26.99

Total = £466.52 ( 452.12 with SC-2305 case)

While i was looking around for a good chassis I found the - U-NAS NSC-600 / U-NAS NSC-800 - this looks like the case of my dream but at £264 just for the chassis seems to expensive for a NAS, Either this case or an extra 8tb HDD simple choice IMHO, have you guys found any good NAS style cases that don't cost a ridiculous amount?

" Ideally 1/2 1080p trans-coding ohh 4K Be Nice :-) just in case "

Just want to say thanks for your responses this will be my first time experience on Unraid and would like advice, am I barking up the wrong tree? is there something I missed is there better hardware for cheaper or much better hardware for a little bit more?

TLDR - Unraid Build Budget / Mid-range £350 - £450 mATX / ATX / Server Rack Case / 6 Drives +. Help! 

Edited by JoNBoYuK
fixing errors

I'm using a Fractal Designs Node 804 case, search the forums for some of my and others insights on this case.  I will be posting pictures next time I go down to install the new 8TB drive that I will be shucking from its case this afternoon.  Few things to keep in mind is the cable length and where you route them might require longer cables than originally thought.  One set needs to be 6" longer than the other to reach one of the groups of 4 drives on the drive side of the case.

@TinkerToyTech

1 hour ago, TinkerToyTech said:

I'm using a Fractal Designs Node 804 case, search the forums for some of my and others insights on this case.  I will be posting pictures next time I go down to install the new 8TB drive that I will be shucking from its case this afternoon.  Few things to keep in mind is the cable length and where you route them might require longer cables than originally thought.  One set needs to be 6" longer than the other to reach one of the groups of 4 drives on the drive side of the case.

@TinkerToyTech

yeah i will not really sold on the case as of yet as i really want to have hot swap drive trays tbh