omgitstechno215

Build check

5 posts in this topic

New to unraid, needing to migrate my plex, storage, sonarr, and radarr to a new home. Is there anything wrong with my build? any suggestions? Im trying to go with the cheaper side of things.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rsns3F
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rsns3F/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($54.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-F2A88XM-D3HP Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $575.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-10 22:33 EDT-0400

Hello and welcome.  I haven't used any of those components, but you ought to be fine.  I'd recommend looking at larger hard drives, you should be able to get a better price per TB.  The CPU you've selected should be able to handle Plex and some transcoding, but it's not a monster so hopefully you've planned that out.

Thank you @tdallen I will definitely consider the cpu. Do you have any hard drives you would recommend? I usually use wd red but they were a little pricey, but I didn't check the higher TB ones. 

The 4TB drives tend to have a better cost per TB than the 3's, and the 8TB drives better still (especially the Seagate Archive drives).  If I were building a new server I'd use a WD Red or HGST for parity and Archive drives for data (and folks are using the Archive drives  successfully for parity, too).