Logs, logs and more logs, and some technical questions

dv310p3r

Honestly, I'm not even sure this is the right board, but I feel my requests are technical enough that I'll need devs to answer them.

So, I'm having some technical problems with my build (random reboots). I'm not here for help with that, at least not yet. I am here to get help so that I can help myself. I figure if I had an easy way of reviewing the logs I'd have more success at troubleshooting the problem. I know where all the logs are, what I'm here for help with is a way to have my logs stored permanently somewhere realtime. This way, I have every last log right up until the moment the system reboots.

So, what I've done already is use a terminal and then "tail -f" to see the syslog and leave it open and hope that the system reboots. Thing is the other system I use for that is my Macbook and I need it for work so it isn't always on. On top of that, there are a few other logs that I'd like to try and store somewhere so I can review them after the reboots happen. For example, temperature logs. I'd like to create a script (or find one) that will take a poll of the temperatures and write them to a file on disk.

Someone mentioned in a reddit post I made, that I can use syslog for this. I'm not that experienced so I started to look into it. It seems I can use syslog to send logs to anywhere I want (I have no idea how just yet, but that it's apparently possible). Anyway, what I did realize though is that if I made any changes, wouldn't I lose them after a reboot or more specifically after an upgrade. The user said yes, but I don't know the real answer so I'm on a hunt now.

These questions and issues lead me to my next set of questions, which are, I'm very used to debian and apt-get, unRAID (after searching for a while) is slackware and it has it's own package manager. I'd like to use it to install git so that I can then clone my typical dev environment settings (vim, tmux) so that I can easily do the work I'm trying to do. However I'd hate to do all this work only for it to cause a problem with upgrades or that it's just all lost after a reboot. I'm not having much success finding answers to these questions on my own.

Basically the hunt to fix my problem has led me down a rabbit hole (that I like). To fix my problem I need to learn a lot more about unRAID and how it works.

So to be very clear, my questions are the following:

• Is there a plugin, or script I can use / run to have logs (syslog specifically) written to disk realtime?
  • Does unRAID make use of the Slackware package management?
  • Is this package management tool of Slackware anything like apt-get?
  • What happens if I install a package like, git, will it be gone after a reboot, or is it installing on the flash drive?
  • What happens when I do an upgrade of unRAID, will any of the packages I install affect permanently my unRAID installation (render an upgrade undoable)?
  • What happens if I install my own vim.conf file, or tmux.conf file? Will they be gone after reboot?

Geez I hope I don't sound stupid asking these questions here. If I do, please direct me to a place I can ask them / find clear answers to them elsewhere, and I'll slink away shamefully.

Thank you,

1 hour ago, dv310p3r said:

Is there a plugin, or script I can use / run to have logs (syslog specifically) written to disk realtime?

Fix Common Problems in troubleshooting mode (also logs a ton of extra may or may not be useful information)

Or, for basic just capturing the log then the user scripts plugin in conjunction with this https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/48707-additional-scripts-for-userscripts-plugin/?page=5#comment-581595

Does unRAID make use of the Slackware package management?

Package management is through the use of tarballs (txz) created with makepkg

Is this package management tool of Slackware anything like apt-get?

No.  Dependencies are handled manually.

What happens if I install a package like, git, will it be gone after a reboot, or is it installing on the flash drive?

Any txz if you copy it to /boot/extra will be automatically installed at every boot.

• What happens when I do an upgrade of unRAID, will any of the packages I install affect permanently my unRAID installation (render an upgrade undoable)?

Doesn't affect anything on the unRaid side of things, but packages that you add may or may not be compatible with an updated kernel, and may introduce unwanted side effects

• What happens if I install my own vim.conf file, or tmux.conf file? Will they be gone after reboot?

Generally you would store them somewhere on the flash drive, and either with the user scripts plugin or via the "go" file (boot/config/go) copy them to where they need to be.

Many packages are available via the Nerd Pack plugin which will automatically handle installation and updates for you.

• Upvote 1