SAS 9300-16I HOST BUS ADAPTER

Are you making an array with SSD's?  If not you could get a 9201-16i off eBay for less money and will work to the maximum speed of HDD spinners currently available on the market today.  The 12Gb speed on that card really won't help unless you are using SSDs which could make use of the extra speed.  I have 4 9201-16i's working in my unRAID servers so I know they work.  Can't tell you about the 9300-16i.  If you do change to a 9201 just make sure to be careful as there may be counterfeit versions on eBay.  I prefer to buy used pulls and avoid the problem.

Edited by BobPhoenix

It's possible the 9300-16i would work but you need to find out what chip set is used on it.  I say that because it is possible that chip set is used on another board that IS being used by someone.  The 9201-16i for instance uses the "Symbios Logic SAS2116 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2" chip set which is the 16 port version of the SAS2008.  Also someone that is using a 9300-16i with unRAID or tried it with unRAID might stop by.  I just wanted to make sure you were not purchasing it because you wanted faster access with HDD spinners since the slower controllers are able to maximize their throughput.

It's likely to work with latest unRAID, but I don't remember seeing anyone on the forum actually confirming it works. there was someone asking because it's same SAS3008 used on the Supermicro X11SSH-CTF, but if they got it they never posted back if it works or not.

That's indeed one of the mainstream cards with drivers available for all major OSes.

But what do you mean by 'supported'?

For me it is plug-n-play

What is the way to test? To boot into unraid, attach couple of disk and verify it sees them?

Or I need to do something more substantial?

If it sees the disks it should work, but if possible use a small array and let a parity check or sync run for a few minutes. if there are no syslog errors/warnings then it's fine for sure.

Edit: controller should be in IT mode

Edited by johnnie.black