unraid 6 trial - completly broken and dissapointed

tomo

Hi folks,

as a newbie I would like to report my experience with unRAID (6.3.5 trial). I also would kindly request to @tomo to start new from scratch and to follow the guides and tips and tricks from the members of this forum. Thanks to all of them. I was inspired by the videos from @gridrunner, they are really impressive.

Okay, let´s begin:

My planned setup is listed below, currently I just have 2 old 1 TB 3,5"-HDD´s and the small 500 GB 2,5"-HDD inside for data and the 4 TB 3,5"-HDD for parity. I also bought a new 480 GB SSD (Sandisk Plus) used as a cachedrive. So the pool/array is 2,5 TB at the moment. I also followed the guide to preclear each disk before adding it to the array. Yes, this took a long time, Oh, and I really use one of the USB 3.0-ports at the backpanel of the mobo without any problems for the OS. The system is running really smooth, writespeed on 1 GBit network was around 95 MB/s (around 25 GB music, only MP3-files around 10 MB each). Writespeed for movies from 1 GB to 40 GB rockstable around 115 MB/s. There is only one brake, the SSD will overheat after a while and begins to throttle. But this is not an issue of unRAID, it´s the hardware. And the whole stuff isn´t right assembled and installed right now, the SSD is laying beside the chassis and gets the wohle sunshine through the window. When everything is completely assembled, the planned data drives will be in the LIAN-LI-cage and also the cachedrive and the small 2,5"-HDD. The cage is equipped with a 120 mm fan, which will be connected to the mobo.

So, what I´m doing right now is to copy the data from the former system (openmediavault), disk by disk. These 4 disks are 2 TB each. When the first disk is copied, it will replace the first old 1 TB in the pool/array. After copying the second disk, this one will replace the second old 1 TB. So this will be a good lesson to learn something about the behaviour of the system.

Writing to the pool/array was done via network from my gaming rig and I also used krusader via docker, which is really a nice tool. I used my USB dual docking station from Aukey with one HDD equipped only. Next try will be to test with 2 disks inside and also I will try the integrated docking station of my chassis.

So in summary, I am really satisfied so far. A parity check (pool/array filled with around 600 GB) I started yesterday was about 12 hours, maybe it will be faster with the other disks. And I also had some tiny problems, but with patience and good will (go to forum and search for problems) I solved these ones by myself. I don´t expect any big problems and think that I will buy a key. 

If you don´t want to spent your time with unRAID or any other solution (open source or not), go and by a turn key product like Syonology, Qnap, Asustor or something like this. These products are also very good, but they will limit you in the use of hardware. 

So have a nice day.

26 minutes ago, hitman2158 said:

A parity check (pool/array filled with around 600 GB) I started yesterday was about 12 hours, maybe it will be faster with the other disks.

Parity check time has nothing to do with how much data you have. It is mostly a function of the size of the parity disk.

Just now, hitman2158 said:

I just wanted to describe the situation correctly. But I am sure that the newer disks will be faster than these old ones with 1 TB. And this will have a positive effect on a parity check.

Yes, faster disks will help, and the newer, larger disks are faster even at the same RPM because there is more data per rotation.

On August 5, 2017 at 3:54 AM, tomo said:

6. parity rebuild times.
So I accept that at some point I have to do this, I left it on overnight to do this. 16 hours it took. how much did that cost in electricity?

Sounds like you need to invest in a gas powered PC tower if you're worried about the electricity costs...

Mine's getting 40 hours to the gallon!

18s3sixd742dnjpg.jpg