Build Advise Gaming VM, plex, blue iris

Been a long time user of UNRAID from back in the 4.xxx days and my current UNRAID machine is a server based Atom D510, X7SPA-H with Antec 900 case, and 3 Norco SS-500 bays with 14 drives consisting of WD Red 6TB Parity and various flavors of drive from 4TB to 1TB for data for 29TB of storage.

The system has served me well as just strictly a Media storage appliance, no VM's, Dockers, or cache drive.

I have a 2011 Mac Mini as my day to day desktop machine, an i7-5930K gaming machine with 3 GTX 970's, and a Dell Optiplex SFF i5 PC for Blue Iris (8ea, 1080p-4MP cameras) and Plex Media Server.

I have started cleaning up my network and installed a server rack and Managed POE switch and am considering consolidating the 3 machines above into a Rackmount UNRAID machine with a Mac VM, gaming Windows 10 VM, and Windows 7 VM for Blue Iris, and a plex docker. I was hoping to use the existing i7-5930K and Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard and replace the 3 GTX 970's with a 1080ti for the Gaming VM, and use one of the existing 970's for the Mac VM. Then using the existing Atom based hardware for a Pfsense box.

Is the i7-5930K up to the task, or am I better going with a Xeon system?

• 3 weeks later...