Greater stability when components fail

So ive had two major issues with Unraid:

- A disk needed its journals clear before the array would mount. Because of this critical dockers did not start.

- Docker.img gets corrupted and I get stability / availability issues with the web interface.

I know Unraid is by its nature not raid - and I like the idea that if you lose all bar one disk you can recover files off it as they aren't split over drives.. BUT if a disk dies in a raid setup the system will still run, albeit slower until a new disk enters for a rebuild. Unraid just stops as it cant mount the array.

Dockers should have the ability to be run off a separate disk (i.e cache) and still start even if the array is down. Docker images that reference the array for file storage should be flag as dont start without array.

Am I better of going with hardware Raid 5 etc if I need this uptime and not using unraids parity? Can Unraids Parity be used like this to keep the array booting until a new disk is acquired?

So, my understanding is you're running Docker off the array, and not off the cache?  

4 hours ago, sjp770 said:

Dockers should have the ability to be run off a separate disk (i.e cache) and still start even if the array is down. Docker images that reference the array for file storage should be flag as dont start without array.

Er...you should be running Docker off your cache.  If you're running it off your data array, you're doing it wrong.

20 hours ago, sjp770 said:

know Unraid is by its nature not raid - and I like the idea that if you lose all bar one disk you can recover files off it as they aren't split over drives.. BUT if a disk dies in a raid setup the system will still run, albeit slower until a new disk enters for a rebuild. Unraid just stops as it cant mount the array.

That is not true at all. A degraded disk in unraid is emulated by parity, and can be read from and written to transparently.

An unmountable disk is a totally separate issue, and must be addressed with file system checks.

As jonathanm said, the problems you are describing have nothing to do with disk failure, and wouldn't be helped even if you had RAID5.

Filesystem corruption is not the same as a failed disk. Possibly you have a hardware issue that caused the filesystem corruption, or maybe there was some other cause, such as filling up a disk, or power off before file writes were complete. Do you have any more information?