[SOLVED] 1 cache disk was missing, now it gives space for RAID 0 but it should be RAID 1

So I was adding a pcie card in the unraid system and booted it back up.

Array was on auto start so this started but I noticed one of the cache disks was missing.

Not sure why this would be allowed to happen as an array disk missing would prevent the array from starting, is this normal behavior?

Anyway, I removed the card and I got the cache disk back and it was balancing.

The strange was that the used data status was dropping so it scared me at first but when checking with du, nothing changed.

The balance finished and now I have a 2TB cache disk where this should be 1TB (2 x 1TB nvme sdd).

Cache shares are still showing green meaning protected but when I check balance on the cache page it says no balance found.

Stopping and starting the array does not change anything.

So 2 questions:

- How do I fix this? unless the only way is remaking the cache...

- How can I make unraid not mount the cache when one of the disks is missing?

Diagnostics attached

tower-diagnostics-20170730-1757.zip

Edited by WEHA
mark as solved
12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

RADI1 for both:

Alright Thanks, 2 questions though. If you don't mind. :)

Do I need to move the data first or can I be sure not to loose any data with the conversion?

This is not mentioned in the post so I'd like to be sure, I can imagine btrfs is smart enough to do this when enough space is available.

Reading your faq post properly I see that metadata can be in raid 1 mode separately, what exactly does this mean -> are the files protected or not?

Unraid indicates they are but I would think metadata is not enough, this confuses me as you would surely understand.

thanks again!

1 hour ago, WEHA said:

Do I need to move the data first or can I be sure not to loose any data with the conversion?

Data should be safe, but a backup of any important data is always good is case something goes wrong.

1 hour ago, WEHA said:

Reading your faq post properly I see that metadata can be in raid 1 mode separately, what exactly does this mean -> are the files protected or not?

Metadata should be raid1, even when data isn't like with single or raid0 profiles mostly for metadata corruption protection, but in those modes if you lose a disk you'll lose all data.

16 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Metadata should be raid1, even when data isn't like with single or raid0 profiles mostly for metadata corruption protection, but in those modes if you lose a disk you'll lose all data.

Just as I suspected, but then unraid showing it protected is a bug then no?

Balance status:

Data, single: total=871.00GiB, used=801.92GiB
System, single: total=32.00MiB, used=128.00KiB
Metadata, single: total=4.00GiB, used=1.25GiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00B

So nothing is raid 1...

Edited by WEHA
6 minutes ago, WEHA said:

but then unraid showing it protected is a bug then no?

Yes, by default unRAID always makes the pool raid1 and won't check for the actual profile in use, so it considers the pool protected when there are 2 or more cache devices.

Edited by johnnie.black