UNRAID & Threadripper

Since we have another Ryzen thread that discusses compatibility and user experiences with Ryzen 1700/1800 series CPU, I thought it would be best to create a new thread exclusive to Threadripper.

Existing 1700/1800 Ryzen processors seem to be having GPU perfomance hits with NPT/KVM/Passthrough and whilst wildly recognised, there doesn't seem to be much progress with resolution.

Hopefully, Threadripper does not have this issue and this processor will be everyone's favourite UNRAID build. Please do post your Threadripper/UNRAID experiences, 3d benchmarks etc. here.

since its too early for facts we are alone with our opinions.

imho threadripper facing the same npt issues since architecture wise I expect it to be very similar.

XEN hypervisor (dom0- domU cpu scheduling) seems to work ok with ryzen currently.

lets hope AMD brings a microcode patch that streamlines their messed up Nasty Page Tabling.  

epyc as a platform that targets server use cases should have that working from the very beginning.

any reports on this ?

(but the dear clock is too slow for hardcore gaming)

crossing fingers.

cheers

Edited by unrateable

Npt was fixed last month. But it was mentioned you need the lated kernel in Linux. 

It was vanilla not dev. We might need to wait for an unraid update to the kernel.

Randall runs through the fix here, but I don't have a ryzen chip, thread ripper should be no different. 

Edited by Maticks
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...