Parity check... 642 days, 8 hours, 55 minutes

2 hours ago, gideva said:

Just changed one of the disks that failed. After a couple of hours I started the parity check this is what I have....

Any suggestion???

Thanks

Schermata 2017-07-21 alle 14.00.14.png

How did you change the disk? A disk rebuild?

Assuming yes, I am not sure why you'd have sync errors.

Did the rebuild proceed at normal speed? If so, that would be a good sign. Did you open the case AFTER the rebuild?

Looking at the number of sync errors 154,000+. Sounds like a lot but isn't for 550G of processed space. Each block I think is 8 sectors (4K). so 154000 is only 600M. Way less than 550G! About 0.1%. So most of the disk is verifying, but some is not.

The fact it is so slow is not due to the sync errors. There are too few of them to slow it down that much. Even if every block were bad, it would not be this slow.

So either the rebuild went flawlessly and now there is some connectivity / HBA issue that is causing performance and data accuracy issues. Or the rebuild was suffering the same issues and we are seeing its continuation into the parity check.

Parity is being updated to match the rebuilt disk. Probably a bad thing.

Stop this, answer my questions, and post a diagnostic file.

Hi there and really thanks for the quick reply.... Coming to the answers:

1) it was a rebuilt and all seemed fine. The only weird thing was that after the rebuilt one of the other disks (cannot remember which) was marked as unreadable and the system was asking to format it. After I reboot the system all was normal.

2) I did not open the case

I got your post just before leaving home and I had the chance to stop everything but not to get the diagnostic file and post it. As soon as I will be back home (on Sunday) I will post everything.

Thank you again

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

It is more likely your rebuild failed before finishing due a disk dropping offline.

And now parity isn't likely to give a valid rebuild. We will have to hope to recover files from the original disk.

gideva, you should have asked for advice before doing anything. It's best to try to understand why a disk failed before deciding what to do about it.

Server came up from an unclean shutdown, besides that you're having issues with your SAS2LP, disable VT-D if you don't need it, try a different slot (you should anyway since it's on a x4 slot, especially if it's a DMI shared slot).

Since the rebuild was before this log no idea if it was successful or not, but the sync errors and unclean shutdown suggest otherwise.

Edited by johnnie.black

All copied... but not all understood completely (talking with a newbie)...

Just to be sure I am going to do correctly this time:

1) I have to disable VT-D on BIOS

2) The change of slot is not really clear...

3) Will run xfs_repair on disk 4 (that was the failed disk)

When I do all this shall I try again with the Parity Check and see if is ok or not?

Thanks for help and patience

Beppe

16 minutes ago, gideva said:

2) The change of slot is not really clear...

Change the SAS2LP to one the top two PCIe slots.

17 minutes ago, gideva said:

3) Will run xfs_repair on disk 4 (that was the failed disk)

It's likely that the filesystem corruption is because of an incomplete rebuild, is so data on that disk will also be corrupt, assuming you don't have checksums to figure out which files are bad is the old disk still readable?